cars fked need help. please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cars fked need help. please.

all so im driving the e30 today to the mall i park the car for about 1 hour now it runs like shit..
    ok symptoms,
    car starts up fine and idles great..... when i start to drive the motor starts to vibrate to the exhaust note... its like a deeper whu,whu, whu noise. this has happened befor but imediatley went away 20mins later and has been fine for about 2 months now....... things to note fuel light came on befor, im really bad for always driving with the light on or only 15 bux of fuel in it till empty...
    car had very poor acceleration now and vibrates fast as i climb the rpm range.

ive checked these things for vibration issues motor mounts ,tranny mounts,csb and diff mounts front cross member for cracks they all look great....
    so what im really leaning towards in the fuel injectors one must not be functioning properly.... miss firing maybe...... or perhapse a failing fuel pump...... if anyone has any ideas please help.
    thanks
    -Mitch
    1988 e30 alpine white vert 5speed
    1987 e30 325 eta
    1983 e28 533
    2001 x5 4.4l
    1997 e36 M3 Alpine white 5speed
    1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

that sounds like a good start. Check fuel pressure at idle and under a load. Also check for any vacuum leaks.
    Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

sounds like it could be a fuel pump too. it could also be a clogged fuel filter. when you run the tank dry, you not only make life hard on your pump by cavitating it, you also suck the crap (sediment) from the bottom of the tank and force it through your fuel pump then subsequently force it through the fuel filter
      Last edited by der affe; 06-16-2008, 09:05 PM.
      seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Also be sure your plugs are all firing.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
        MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
        | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

Originally posted by VacMan View Post
          Also be sure your plugs are all firing.
          ok im not really sure how to do that, i know litle things but id rather not take it to a shop if i can get help on here.... so whats the best way to check if all the plugs are firing? also when doing a fuel pressure test does any one know the correct psi it should be putting out.. and last sorry, do i check it from the fuel inlet line in the engine compartment befor the fuel rail?

thanks for the help everyone.
          1987 e30 325 eta
          1983 e28 533
          2001 x5 4.4l
          1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

tee it off before fuel rail, go to local parts store and pick one up, i think they are rather expensive. i worked on a 300zx today that did the same thing, ended up being a bad fuel pump (low fuel press.)

Comment

pull a plug wire and place the plug inside sitting on the valve cover. Have your friend turn the car over and see if it arcs across over to the valve cover. Repeat every plug wire. If you see no spark then your not getting fire to that plug.

make sure the car is in neutral!
              Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Comment

also, ohm your injectors, meaning pull the injector harness off the injectors and get a multimeter and put it on the ohm setting, put one lead on one side and the other lead on the other side, i think the number should be 14-17.

Comment

thanks guys i will check for spark today and also ohm the injectors.. i wil get back to everyone.
                  1987 e30 325 eta
                  1983 e28 533
                  2001 x5 4.4l
                  1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

ok i checked for spark everything is ok in that department....... i also tried to get a reading from my fuel pump it says it supposed to read 1.4 amps...... couldnt get a reading it said 0.0... i dunno if i did it right or if it was on the correct setting but i set it to DC 20, any one know if thats correct on a digital multimeter? im going to get the fuel injectors cleaned and new o-rings for them plus change the fuel filter. oh and when i checked the plugs they were all consistent coloration.. none were soaked in oil or gas.... but they did look worn out.. i might change them also.....
                    i was thinking today that the car idles perfectly steady wouldnt a dieing pump or faulty injector cause a searching idle???? some more input would be greatly appretiated.
                    thanks
                    -Mitch
                    1987 e30 325 eta
                    1983 e28 533
                    2001 x5 4.4l
                    1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

coil, distributor, o2 sensor could be a number of things

check those and go from there
                      Originally posted by Mr Watsonsilver