Poor Gas mileage out of an 86' ETA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Gas mileage out of an 86' ETA

I have read on here that most people get 27-30 MPG out of there ETA depending on there driving style. This gave me the idea to see what I was getting, to my surprise I have only been getting 22-23 MPG when driving very cautiously. The car is a Stock 86' 5spd eta with 213k on it. It recently got it's Air Filter cleaned, Oil & oil filter changed, and the trans fluid changed. It doesn't use any oil either. I am rarely hard on the car, sometimes here and there but for the most part I am pretty gentle on it. What could be the problem? Spark Plugs and wires possibly? Would seafoam help?
    Alpine 86' 325 - Eibach Pro-kit(ftl), Millie Miglias, Ansa exhuast, US eilpsod's W/ HIDs, IS valence, More to come..

White Suzuki LTR450

i wouldnt be too concerned. i think most ppl who say they are getting 27-30mpg are talking out their asses.
    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

I might take a look at you 02 sensor. I get a genuine 27-28mpg out of my '86 e. My last tank I averaged 27.6. I have a chip and drive relatively hard around town/onramps and offramps but then I drive a lot of highway miles at around 75.

Comment

are you going by your OBC? or dividing mileage by gallons?

OBS is usually off a lot, mine said 42 once in city driving.

And you should be getting mileage in upper 20's, maybe it's time for a tune up.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
          are you going by your OBC? or dividing mileage by gallons?

OBS is usually off a lot, mine said 42 once in city driving.

And you should be getting mileage in upper 20's, maybe it's time for a tune up.
          Dividing mileage by gallons. How much and where would I be able to get a O2 sensor? There relatively easy to replace arnt they? I'm not extremely concerned about it, but with the way gas is every single MPG better counts for me.
          Alpine 86' 325 - Eibach Pro-kit(ftl), Millie Miglias, Ansa exhuast, US eilpsod's W/ HIDs, IS valence, More to come..

White Suzuki LTR450

Comment

thread jack

anyone heard of a tank size difference between etas and I's?

im barely getting 250miles out of my eta. i filled it and it barely took over 11 gallons from empty. if i were to go by my OBC it says im getting 28mpg on the freeway in 5th at 80ish. if i were to use the division method of gas vs mileage it would be close to 23-22. were running a tms chip, supersprint and open filter.fuel filter was done early last year. did new plugs, cap and rotor less than a month ago. besides wires (which i know i need) im not sure what else i could replace.

Comment

im getting upper 20's low 30's from my stock 86 e (200k mi), this is mostly highway and conservative driving 70-75 highways and light easy acceleration around town. i havent been drivingthis car for very long but have noticed i get better mpg keeping it in the mid range rpm's, keeping it in a higher gear to keep the rpms down does not result in better economy..

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
                i wouldnt be too concerned. i think most ppl who say they are getting 27-30mpg are talking out their asses.
                +1
                I have to work my ass off (coasting in neutral etc) to get 30mpg in a 318 anywhere other than long highway drives.

Comment

Originally posted by tjts1 View Post
                  +1
                  I have to work my ass off (coasting in neutral etc) to get 30mpg in a 318 anywhere other than long highway drives.
                  the 318 is a different animal then the 325, e, or es. its not the same motor or the same Diff gearing and was not designed to put out the same economy so claiming people are "talking out of there asses" is a foolish statement to make or support if your not even driving an "eta" car..

Comment

Working...
                  X