problem with power windows, help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with power windows, help please

problem is the windows stopped working. i checked fuse #16 and it is good, but i have no voltage there. i traced the wire (white with brown stripe) to inside the cabin. does this fuse get its power directly from the battery or is there a relay or something? i jumped it with a jumper wire under the dash and the window switches lit up, and the windows went up and down. i remember a post about a wire on the starter being for the windows, i have a m50 so is there a wire in the car side of the plug that is for this? the chassis is a 89 325is.

did you check the connector behind the speaker panel? start there and make sure you have power.

Comment

i don't have power at the fuse, nor the window switches. never checked the connection behind the speaker panel, but i'll assume i don't there either as the circuit starts at the fuse.

Comment

Try check the main power block under the dash on the d.side. Also check the wire from the starter, that was my problem after doing some extensive R&R a while back on my m20

Comment

i have a m50 in my car, where could that wire be now?? does it go to the car harness into the fuse box? if so what color is it?

Comment

Originally posted by mentaleeill
            i have a m50 in my car, where could that wire be now?? does it go to the car harness into the fuse box? if so what color is it?
            I don't have an m20 anymore adn I have forgotten the color. Just check all the wires on the starter, that wire is a hot wire that feeds the main relay with power. I know, very odd...but its just how they set it up

Comment

i'll look for that. thanks.

Comment

i'm kinda in the same boat right now, i just installed two new front speakers and deck, everthing was paying nicly, cruising down the road, got hot, so i went for the windows, *SHIT!* they don;t work lol.. i looked in fuse box, and number 16 fuse is busted, ok great easy fix i thought, well, i replaced the fuse,,, and still nothing, that fuse is still in tact, what else could it be?! i could not find a (white with brown stripe) wire behind the speaker panel or behind the deck, i have a 1987 325is chasis,,, any idea?
                </img>
                Schnitzel Not Rice....

Comment

Have they not worked since the swap?

If so, it is probably because you didn't wire up the unloader relay. There is at least one very detailed post in the DOHC thread that describes wire colors, etc.
                  '91 318is
                  sigpic

Comment

crraaap. unloader relay wtf is that, heres the deal,, i got the deck when i quit best buy, i let them instal it couple months back, i took a look at everything they had done the other day, they were running the left f and r speakers off the postive front let speaker output, and the f and r left speaks fromt he FL speaker out put, all the bmw wires confused the f* out of me, so i just ran new wires (:)) i didn;t mess with any of the power wires they had hooked up (the power, constant, rem, grnd ect) just the speaker wires,,

i installed the front right speaker with no probs, went to work with widows down
                    came home, woek up next day, then did the front right speaker, speakers sound great, thats when windows stopped working... so i'm guessingi mess a wires up behind the speaker panel (?) i saw there is a white/ brn stripe wire coming fron fuse, but then what color does it turn into at the doors?
                    </img>
                    Schnitzel Not Rice....

Comment

Working...
                    X