Car Won't Start... Fuel Pump maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Won't Start... Fuel Pump maybe?

About a week ago I let my car get too low on gas (just got the car wasn't familiar with how long I could run on empty... computer said 30 miles left) and I ran out of gas on the freeway. It's pretty dry but AAA bails me out. Woops!

Now, last night I'm driving down the road and the gas pedal becomes on and off, like touch it slightly and it's almost floored and take it off and it jerks to a stop. I coast into a parking lot and the car dies.

Now I try to start it... it turns on fine idles and then dies. I put in some gas hoping that was my problem and it seemed like it was maybe going to start but no luck. I tried pumping the pedal and stuff and it just dies out.

So I'm wondering if I burned out the pump or if the filter is clogged?
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

I am no expert, and I am having a similar issue getting my car to start as well. Have you tried turning the key to the on-position (but not starting) and listening for the pump? When I did that at first I could hear the pump make noise and I thought my pump was ok(but I have heard that it could make a noise that sounds like it is about to die)...well now it doesn't make any noise at all. I am not sure if it is because of the wiring(relay w/e) or the pump just went bad.
    Tbolt Division

All I'm saying dude is that bird law in this country...it's not governed by reason.

Comment

I tried listening for the pump but I could not hear anything. I will go check again, I really don't know what I'm listening for.

Is the pump in the gas tank or somewhere easier to get to on these cars?
      I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

I just tried to start it after letting it sit for the night and it revs up to 2k and then dies.

Still didn't hear a fuel pump noise.
        I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

I just replaced the fuel filter, didn't work.

Since the early model car has a pump inside the tank and a main pump outside next to the filter which one should I be thinking about replacing?
          Last edited by 87e30; 08-07-2008, 01:50 PM.
          I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

The Bentley manual has a set of tests of the fuel system that will tell which component of the fuel system is bad. I'd advise running through those tests rather than throwing parts at the problem and hoping for a favorable outcome.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

when you put the key in ignition and twist it to the running position (dash lights should come on), listen for a deep rumble, very faint. that should last about 2-3s as the tank's fuel pump primes up.

the rumble sounds like an aircraft flying over, uh i dont really know how else to describe it. when i first drove the car, thats what i thought it was, then i sourced it to the fuel pump. durr

good luck, go with chiltons so you've got some direction

Comment

Yeah, I noticed throwing parts was a bad idea. I replaced the fuel filter, and bought a fuel pump but before putting in the pump decided to test the current one. Both the pump and filter are good.

The car will turn on and rev then just die. Gas pedal is useless. If I do it too much it won't start again. If I give it a minute and then try the process repeats.

Electrical problem?
                I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

Hi, from Chile, new on the forum, new on Bmw´s, got a 83 323ia
                  had exactly the same problem (the car will start but only run for a second or two. Once it has been started three or four times It will not start again until it sits for a few minutes), can´t find solution. Any findings?
                  Appreciate your help

Comment

Sensors in the bellhousing good? If the speed sensor is bad it will idle, but "looses the will to live" when reved up, due to the ecu not advancing the timing. As a note if you have 2 fuel pumps and the tank one fails, the car will still run but it will lean out at the upper part of your rev range. If the external one dies, its a no go.
                    Originally posted by codyep3
                    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                    2010 F650gs twin
                    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Isn't there a pouch/filter at the bottom of the fuel pump? Maybe that's been clogged??

'89 325i - Totaled... good bye my love...
                      '87 327i budget stroker - SOLD!!!
                      '92 240sx - ca18det powered drift toy - SOLD!!!
                      '89 325i - coupe - NEW daily
                      '96 Audi A6 Quattro- Grocery getter/baby hauler
                      '99 Busa - weekend wheelie monster

Comment

check fuel pressure

Comment

I give up. Car´s sitting at the mechanic for a week. The car was running great and all of a sudden it dies till now
                          Fuel presure ok, FPR, filter, changed, all fuses revised, looks injectors not working.
                          Mine (83 323ia) has not injector harness conector.
                          Tomorrow I´ll change injection relay
                          Any other places to look for?
                          Thank you

Comment

Bellhousing sensors? Pin on the flywheel fall out? If TDC sensors see nothing, it won't start. Just ideas, its probably much simpler than that though.
                            Originally posted by codyep3
                            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                            2010 F650gs twin
                            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Injection relay changed, car´s running smooth now.
                              2 questions:
                              is there a code for that failure?
                              how much is that relay in USA?
                              Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X