Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd tachometer behavior

Hey,

Sometimes my tach will stay at zero, other times it will sort of work but bounce around and stick at a given RPM. Any ideas on a fix?

thanks

Battery?

Comment

SI battery must be dead, as the oil service lights have always been stuck on, but this tach problem is recent. All the other gauges work..

Comment

I have the same problem, does your mpg needle work?

Comment

not sure, it's not something I've ever paid attention to. i look next time I drive it.

Comment

the si batteries prolly leaked on the circuit board and caused corrosion and an intermittant connection. you could try taking apart your instrument cluster to have a look an see if the pcb is all screwed up thats prolly your problem.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

my tach "floats" sometimes

Comment

So i replaced my batteries and they still dont work. Do I need to reset them or anything?

Super E30 newb

Comment

Bump for any help...I replaced the batterys and still no rpms and insepction keeps flashing.

Super E30 newb

Comment

i think your best bet would be to get another gauge cluster.. id sell you mine but it doesnt work either :P

Comment

I really think mine is fixable. I really think so lol. Everything works but the rpms. What plug is needed to make the rpms work?

Super E30 newb

Comment

replace the SI board.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                        i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                        Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

is there a place that sells SI boards? or do i have to buy a "working" cluster and swap the boards?

Also there are about 4 or 5 wires hanging behind the cluster. Should i snap some pictures of it and see if you guys know where they go?

Super E30 newb

Comment

check ebay, they're on there all the time. I've had good luck at the yard too

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                            i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                            Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Okay will do.

Btw so after I replaced the battery, the OBC works amazing and bright, the fogs (light on the cluster) turns on, along with the ebrake. THe inspection is flashing and so as check. The gas works, speedo works, coolant temp or water temp works. Everything works but the light to turn on the cluster (they are missing)and the rpm.

Everything is working but the speedo. I orderd new bulbs (every single one of them( I ll replace and see where it takes me.

Super E30 newb

Comment

Working...
                              X