Some bushing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some bushing help

So I've had my 318is for a couple months now, timing chain has been done and it's improved the car dramatically.

One thing I'm noticing is that there's been a squeaky noise coming from the front end of the car, but it's not particularly related to bumps (even though bumps do exaggerate it.)

The car is lowered on H&R springs which were done recently so I don't think its that, but; the PO had the car fitted with m3 control arms and urethane bushings.

IIRC the urethane bushings need to be lubricated every 2k miles or so, and they don't respond well to use off the track. I'd ultimately like to get rid of those bushings and go for the heavy duty rubber ones.

I was thinking maybe the whole car was set up with urethane, but I don't hear a squeaking from the rear, so I figure the PO probably swapped the rubber for urethane with the control arms.

I've also noticed an intermittent wobble in the wheel, thinking the subframe bushings need attention? I'm lacking in my understanding of how bushings work, and what the maintenance entails. I'll continue searching this and other forums, but I would appreciate some help. I have both e30 and e36 bentleys (91 318is lol), but I'm confused which one to go by. Thanks in advance.
    sigpic

bump for a little help? still havent made any progress with this.
    sigpic

Comment

I have poly bushings as well, and I had a similar creaking noise. What I did is drill holes through the bushings and lollipop and pressed in a zerk fitting so that I can grease them on teh car. As quiet as rubber, now.

The rears won't squeak as much because the rear suspension pivots really don't move a whole lot. I can only ever hear mine when I am jacking the rear of the car up.

The steering could be anything from bad tierods to loose rack mounts to bad upper strut mounts. The rear subframe can in no way cause steering wheel wobble.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Working...
      X