No announcement yet.

Problem with High idle and Air Conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 89 iX has a similar problem to this. It just started to do it suddenly. It idles around 1200rpm at all times. When I turn the a/c on the idle just goes out of control up to like 4000rpm or 5000rpm. Anyone have any ideas on this? Its wierd because it just started doing this suddenly with no warning.

1989 325iX
    1995 540i
    1986 325eS R.I.P.
    1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

Unplug the black connector inside the glovebox coming from the ECU to the center dash. I believe the wire colors are red and purple. Its a two wire plug, and thats supposed to sense when the A/C turns on to up the idle. For some reason people have been having trouble with them lately and unplugging it seems to work. It will just put extra load on the engine at idle with the A/C on. As for a permenant fix.. ??
      Old and improved:

Comment

Yeah I don't want to just half ass fix it though. Could anyone make a list of components that should be checked out?

1989 325iX
        1995 540i
        1986 325eS R.I.P.
        1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

when i accidentaly left my TPS connector unplugged, my Revs would stay wherever i put them with the A/c one.. they didnt go down to normal until i turn the A/c Switch off,

Point is... Check your Throttle Position Sensor.

Comment

I think maybe my butterfly valve in the throttle is sticking cause I mashed the gas real quick a couple of times and the idle came down to normal. Any thoughts?

1989 325iX
            1995 540i
            1986 325eS R.I.P.
            1984 325e R.I.P.

Comment

Might be getting low on refridge. Mainly, when driving the air blowing over the condensor if front is needed. The ac tends to get more sensitive to how much air is moving over the condensor when it starts getting low.And even when the problem gets more complicated then contact AC repair miami beach.They are adorable in these type of problems.

Comment

i have the same problem. have anyone figure out the problem yet? please advise...

Comment

I would try this first...

Originally posted by EtaSport View Post
                  Unplug the black connector inside the glovebox coming from the ECU to the center dash. I believe the wire colors are red and purple. Its a two wire plug, and thats supposed to sense when the A/C turns on to up the idle. For some reason people have been having trouble with them lately and unplugging it seems to work. It will just put extra load on the engine at idle with the A/C on. As for a permenant fix.. ??
                  If that doesn't work, I'd try this:

Originally posted by bddog View Post
                  The Idle Control Module controls the idle- not the ECU. It is located next to the ECU under the dash on top of the glove box. Black for early models, Green for later ones. If you replace it Green is the color you want. They are supposed to last better---- Steve
                  "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"
                  -Mario Andretti.

1991 E30 325ic, AW, Black Leather, Black top, Three Pedals.

Comment

Working...
                  X