Problem with High idle and Air Conditioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with High idle and Air Conditioning

89 325i, M20B25 Engine with 173 ECU + JC chip.

Normal driving - idle ~750rpm
    A/C on - idle ~1000-1500rpm

When I make a shift, or go into neutral, the revs hang at around 1500 before they drop out all the way to idle as well.

thus far I have:

Loosened micro-adjustment screw. This fixed the problem temporarily, however as soon as I turned on the A/C the revs jumped back up to 1500 before settling out at 1000 again.
    cleaned the icv each time i fart around with this thing, it seems to fix it for about 5 minutes. also, I swapped it with an ICV from another 325i, to no avail.
    ran BG-44k through the engine (carbon deposit/fuel system cleaner)
    I couldn't find any vacuum leaks.
    I swapped the ECU to see if that makes a difference, and it didn't

Perhaps the temp sensor is to blame?

thoughts/ideas?

Again, this only happens with the A/C on.
    My mountains are better than yours.

how bout a bump. no longer happens with jsut the A/C, and with the A/C on new idle is almost 2k rpms.

Comment

Our 528e did this after we got it. It is auto, lots of miles. When in gear it was perfectly fine, but put it in park or neutral and the rpms skyrocketed. We got by just shutting it off in drive. Then the AC started acting up. Running R134 now, and the idle surged in gear and out.

Check for any vacuum leaks, make sure your TPS is set right, and make sure the throttle butterfly is closing all the way. You can check the connections of all the important stuff, but I think what solved our problem was the ICM. The only thing is I dont think there is an ICM on the 325i, and if there is im not sure where it is. I looked for it on ETK and didnt find it. Vacuum leaks are big, variances in fuel pressure are big, and that ICV is just plain weird. The m20 is such a hard motor to diagnose. Hope maybe something helps out.
      Old and improved:

Comment

Kris, I didn't know you got another E30.

Comment

Yeah show pics of the new E30!
          Continuous For Sale Thread
          323i s50

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I may just take this one into the mechanic and have them deal with it.

Pics will come. School is sucking a lot of time away right now, and that's the priority.

Comment

when you turn on the a/c the computer make it idle faster to compensate for the extra load.

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Originally posted by e30evolution
                when you turn on the a/c the computer make it idle faster to compensate for the extra load.
                I understand that. So I switched ECU's, and it was unchanged.

where does the ECU get that information?

Comment

i dont know if there is an actual problem..... just how things are. there is a temperature sensing bulb on the evaporator that tells the computer when it is getting too cold, and one of the condensor to tell when it is getting to hot. basically letting the clutch cycle on and off when necessary. only 1500? there is no problem, just how it is

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

i dont know if there is an actual problem..... just how things are. there is a temperature sensing bulb on the evaporator that tells the computer when it is getting too cold, and one of the condensor to tell when it is getting to hot. basically letting the clutch cycle on and off when necessary. only 1500? there is no problem, just how it is
                    1500-2000. peaks at 2200-2400.

Never has happened before, but winter's coming, so I suppose it's not that big of a deal for long.

Comment

only 1500? there is no problem, just how it is
                      If your car idles at 1500 with the A/C on you have problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
                        only 1500? there is no problem, just how it is
                        If your car idles at 1500 with the A/C on you have problems.

Now it's at around 2000.

^bump for the tech advice.

Comment

new ideas?

Comment

sorry i can't help... but at least your engine keeps running when your ac is on.... unless my car is pretty well warmed up it stalls whenever i put the clutch in to shift

Comment

The Idle Control Module controls the idle- not the ECU. It is located next to the ECU under the dash on top of the glove box. Black for early models, Green for later ones. If you replace it Green is the color you want. They are supposed to last better---- Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X