Shudder at rest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shudder at rest

Just picked up an E30 and started to notice a shudder when idling at a complete stop in neutral. I've watched the idle and it is not wavering. Motor mounts are not torn. Doesn't change with depressing the clutch pedal. Doesn't happen every time. I've read about the guibo/center support bearing causing shudders, but would that cause a shudder when in neutral and the driveline is not engaged? Any help is appreciated.
    1991 Alpine 318i w/S52 swap

If you pop the hood can you see the engine shaking? That's a sign of some misfiring. BTW - it might be helpful to tell us what motor you have.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
      If you pop the hood can you see the engine shaking? That's a sign of some misfiring. BTW - it might be helpful to tell us what motor you have.
      Engine doesn't shake at idle when I'm parked, but most of the times it has happened, I'm at a light so kind of hard to pop the hood and run out to check. ;) Happens like one out of every ten stops so it's not all the time, but just annoying. I've got an 87 325is, so the M20B25 engine I believe. Oddly enough, it sounds like it's coming from the trans tunnel, but again only happens in neutral. Car does not shudder on accel or cruising at speed.
      1991 Alpine 318i w/S52 swap

Comment

I'd check cap, rotor, plugs. Heck, on an old car like an e30 replacing those, a new change of oil, and an air and fuel filter is consider a "tune-up"
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
        X