Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me diagnose

Hey there

I've searched all over this board for help but can't find any answers so here goes.

Last week or so my car makes a really loud groaning noise when turning the wheel at low speeds. If I turn all the way, say when I'm backing in and out of a spot, it'll groan and creak.
    Also, it sounds like there is an open window between my steering wheel and the engine bay and I hear a noise like there is air coming in RIGHT in front of my while I'm driving. Again, only at little to no speeds.

I called my garage yesterday and made an appointment for them to look at it today.

Last night, however, I went into the market to get some dinner came out and turned on the car it sputtered a little then died.

Tried again, same result.

It will turn over, but it will hit about 400 RPMs for a bout a second then just die. The lights turn on and everything electrical works so it's not the battery.

I have a feeling the two issues are related.

Help?? Thanks!!

Sounds to me like an old/failing PS pump. Sometimes they (the pump) will growl at you if they're low on ATF as well.

As for the sputtering, It's fuel related. Sounds like maybe a clogged fuel filter, clogged foot sock on the pump or a dead/dying fuel pump.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
    When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

Ya, I don't think the two are related. The groaning is most definitely power steering related. That would not cause the car to sputter and die. lordofthewaters has some good suggestions for you.
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys! Im gonna tow it to the shop tonight and hopefully it won't set me back too much $ :(

Comment

The only chance that they might be related is if the power steering pump seized and the strain from it on the engine causes it to stall. Other then that, it what they said. ^^^

Comment

Working...
          X