Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe you guys could help me (speedo related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe you guys could help me (speedo related)

So my e30's been in the family for several years now, was my brother's, now its mine, and about a month after my brother bought it the speedo and ODO crapped out on him. Everything else in the cluster works besides those two. Now that I'm driving it, the whole not knowing how fast you're going thing is starting to bug me, not to mention the local NJ inspection station failed me because the ODO didn't change between my two visits to that wonderful place, so I started on the adventure of fixing an e30 speedometer. So far the whole cluster, SI board, trigger switch sensor, trigger switch plug, and differential have all been replaced. What else could it be? I'm really hoping it's something simple and not expensive, too.

Thanks
    Nick
    Re-Build:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...00#post2471300

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...24#post2157024

Originally posted by nick_t View Post
    So my e30's been in the family for several years now, was my brother's, now its mine, and about a month after my brother bought it the speedo and ODO crapped out on him. Everything else in the cluster works besides those two. Now that I'm driving it, the whole not knowing how fast you're going thing is starting to bug me, not to mention the local NJ inspection station failed me because the ODO didn't change between my two visits to that wonderful place, so I started on the adventure of fixing an e30 speedometer. So far the whole cluster, SI board, trigger switch sensor, trigger switch plug, and differential have all been replaced. What else could it be? I'm really hoping it's something simple and not expensive, too.

Thanks
    Nick
    I have the same problem. I've just decided that my best guesstimate on speed has worked thus far soooo.......actually it is kinda annoying but worst of all my windows don't work.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
    ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Since you replaced all of the components (cluster and speed sensor), the most likely cause is now a wiring fault. You'll need to check for continuity and no grounds from the speed sensor to the cluster.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
      X