Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So whos car runs like a bag in this freezing weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So whos car runs like a bag in this freezing weather?

Ever since its started to get really cold, the E30 will run like a bag of shit as I get it started and for the first 30 seconds or so it will stumble and huff gas out the pipe until it cleans up.

This is the first E30 I've owned, and Ive hunted around here searching for cold start issues, but found none. Im assuming the 02 sensor is going south, because my old 240sx used to do the same when it was cold until I swapped a new one in.

Ive also noticed my appetite for gas has been pretty voracious latley, but that might have something to do with the fact that 2 weeks ago the asshat at the gas station left my filler cap off (the one time I dont get out of the car to check and make sure he puts it back, is the time he leaves it sitting there)

the basic maintenance was done before I got the car (bought it from a dude at BMW, he did all the stuff including water pump and timing belt), so I know its not a worn plug or ignition issue...

im having the same issues

nice to see you over here from ifx lol

Comment

I was gonna say...start with the 02 sensor. That helped mine with the cold weather.
      sigpic

Comment

The first things that I'd suspect in this case would be intake leaks or a bad coolant temp sensor (the one that provides data to the DME). The O2 sensor isn't a player in a cold start as the DME doesn't use data from that sensor until the DME shifts to closed-loop operation.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          The first things that I'd suspect in this case would be intake leaks or a bad coolant temp sensor (the one that provides data to the DME). The O2 sensor isn't a player in a cold start as the DME doesn't use data from that sensor until the DME shifts to closed-loop operation.
          im definetly thinking the coolant temp sensor. My friend told me that they play a part in half the running problems these cars have...

Even in the summer, as it was coming up to temp, if I went and cracked the throttle just a hair, it would stumble a little bit. A few times going up hill when the car was cold, leaving the light, if I let the revs drop to about 1000 it would bog, stumble, and stall if I didnt clutch in and goose it some.

Maybe I'll actually scrounge some $ together after xmas and start cleaning her up. I would like to tear down the top half and replace all the lines running underneath the intake manifold, and see if the intake gasket has been causing me any issues....work has been very busy latley (lot of people bringing their 911's in for winter rebuilds) and I havent even had the change to get into the engine and do a valve adjustment and a new VC gasket...

Comment

Originally posted by smellslikecurry View Post
            im having the same issues

nice to see you over here from ifx lol
            lol werd...Ive been on here for a bit, been a bit of a lurker.

I didnt realize how cheap the M50 engines go for. After working on my friends E36 the other day, it seemed like a good idea next summer to drop one in...and keep the A/C system intact. I could still run the Motronic setup, keep my cold start idle stuff, and make it pass emissions without an issue. Ive pulled apart several M52 engines at the shop, and Im sure doing a chain and guides on a non-vanos engine is relative cakework compared to the later ones.

And dont even get me started on doing timing chains for an E38...oh god the nightmares....

Comment

Working...
            X