No announcement yet.

Overheating only when sationary ?? 91 ix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32 mm wrench and a hammer is all you need to get the fan clutch off. Make sure you hit it so it goes to the right, its threaded backwards.

Comment

I heart you all ...

Comment

And don't crank it down when you reinstall..not necessary. Just a good snug is sufficient. Nothing is worse than spending an hour trying to get a fan off because the PO cranked it down.
        89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
        E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

Comment

So I have been looking at fan clutches and the cheapest I have found is at bavauto for about $65 (reasonable??). Is there anything else I need to get (O-rings, seals ... etc)?

Also, I have been reading up on how to remove the fan clutch and everyone seems to be having problems with holding the clutch still to remove it? Any ideas what this is all about?

Once again, in a very manly way ... I freakin heart you all ... haha

cheers

Comment

anyone ??

Comment

Stick big screw driver into the alternator fan blade and hold it.while you smack the wrench with a hammer. Remember you are going righty loosey. A Curtis

Comment

Originally posted by andrewc53 View Post
                Stick big screw driver into the alternator fan blade and hold it.while you smack the wrench with a hammer. Remember you are going righty loosey. A Curtis
                That is a good way to damage your alternator.

Get a big pipe or something that you can stick down onto the nut. Smack it with a hammer a few times on each surface of the nut, and the fan will usually come right off.
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                  That is a good way to damage your alternator.

Get a big pipe or something that you can stick down onto the nut. Smack it with a hammer a few times on each surface of the nut, and the fan will usually come right off.
                  this sounds alot better than the screwdriver idea. I was trying to figure out how i wouldn't damage the alternator by using the screwdriver.

Thanks fellas for everything ... I'll tell you how it goes once i get it in (hopefully)

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by bmwpower View Post
                    BTW, if it's the heater core, check in the trans tunnel area as there are weep holes on either side of the tunnel. The weep holes allow coolant to leave the HVAC box and not flood the cabin if the core is leaking.
                    Damn - wish I knew this a couple weeks ago. 86 eta sedan, leaking coolant frumunda the driver's/pass seat area, knowing full well no lines ran back there, assumed there was a bad transmission pan seal, coolant was mixing with trans fluid in automatic radiator, and spewing out on the ground. Swapped trans pan gasket and filter, replaced radiator, tested, still leaking - sho nuff, left if long enough so a nice puddle formed in the driver side footwell. Out came the heater core and piping, replaced, alll good in the hood. Knowing the weep holes were there would have saved me money and lots of frustration :(
                    Originally posted by alpinaclone
                    Since the real economy is in the shitter, I say we start our own.

This is how it works; you buy my junk, then I will buy more junk and so on so forth etc. etc. Think of the future of your children and buy my stuff.

Comment

back from the dead ... finally got around to replacing the fan clutch (courtesy of abepark). No more overheating, great airflow through the engine bay and a happy e30 owner (now to fix other issues:D).

As for holding down the fan clutch during removal and tightening, since all my belts were still on, they gave enough tension to do the job (courtesy of asubimmer). I used a thin 32mm wrench, that I got from my local bike shop for $14 instead of bavauto's which was almost $40.

Thanks for the all the help guys ... Cheers

Comment

woot.

Comment

Working...
                        X