Fan Clutch Issues - E36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan Clutch Issues - E36

Yes I know this is an E30 forum, but since you guys are a helluva lot more knowledgeable than anyone on the E36 forums, bear with me.
    1996 328iC, fan is blowing like a damn jet engine all the time, even when starting cold. Another symptom is cabin heat drops when at stoplights, and immediately heats up when you increase the RPMs.
    I am assuming this is a faulty fan clutch.
    Your thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Brian

1988 325iC Project - FINISHED!
    Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=325iC+paint

fan speed being excessive is likely the clutch failing.

not sure how it would affect heat much though.
    Build : Das Drehmoment Ungeheuer

Comment

Hmm, Are you sure it isn't your aux fan staying on? It's pretty damn noisy when it comes on. If that is not the case, and you have done your research, I am sure you have read about the fan delete mod. Remove fan, 80c t-stat, 318ti aux fan temp sensor.
      As for the temp dropping while idling, could be a stuck t-stat, or the fact that you might need to add more coolant and "burp" the system. You have to add the coolant in a small hole just in front of the coolant reservoir itself.
      Also my 94' has a knob just above the center vent that needs to be rotated towards the red mark.
      what you did to this car is like getting a supermodel naked and willing to do anything you please. now here you are faced with ths once in a lifetime opportunity and then you squander it by making her fuck you in the butt with a 24" strap on. you are a sad, silly little boy.

Comment

The fan clutch is easy to test. With the radiator cold, the fan should be easy to stop by dragging a rolled up newspaper against the blade tips. With the engine and radiator at normal temperature it should be difficult to stop the fan. Note that in cooler weather you may have to block off part of the airflow to the radiator to get it fully hot.

The "fan delete mod" can successful, providing that you replace the engine driven fan with an electric fan of at least 1600Cfm and trigger it with a thermo-switch matched to the engine's thermostat. But a replacement of a failed fan clutch is cheaper and more reliable.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Working...
        X