Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Led licence plates

Led plate lights....

working great! got some really nice Leds.. and new lens very happy... but you know where im going with this..

since i have a e30 that still has a well working electial sytem... i figure i want to get that light above my head out..

so i did some thing and reserch... and came to the conclution that.

the onboad indicator thing above your head... (that you have to press the brakes lights b4 the VDo goes off)

that thing comes on and says my plate lights are are... (which they are not)

is it cause im useing less draw not then the stock 2 bulbs...

the lEd kit has a bulb looking electial resistor thingy that plugs in to the led peice....

If i install an inline resitor... to restrict more flow or juice, would that help or worrsin?

2nd question is what is the resistence, that the little computer requires no not come on?
    04 e83 X3
    01 e39 540M
    97 e36 328is

Specializing In BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, Porsche ,Volkswagen

sigpic

??? is this what i need a led resistior 15-25 ohms?
    04 e83 X3
    01 e39 540M
    97 e36 328is

sigpic

Comment

To keep the Check Panel from complaining about your LED lights you need to parallel the LED's with a resistor small enough (and of sufficient wattage) so as to duplicate the current flow of the normal bulb. You'd need to measure the current drawn by the OE bulbs and that drawn by the LED's to compute the resistor size and rating.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

nice... Im off to have fun.....

thank you,
        04 e83 X3
        01 e39 540M
        97 e36 328is

sigpic

Comment

or you could just take the bulb out

problem solved
          Originally posted by ebelements
          Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

I guess you've never gone to school? Resistors resist. Same amount of current/voltage + resistance = dimmer lights. It won't help you without making your LEDs useless.

Comment

You could put the resistors in parallel, to match the draw on the circuit, then the LED (not incandescant) will still work, and the warning light will go out. But you still need to calculate the original draw vs. teh new draw to get the resistor value and rating correct. Easier to just remove the warning bulb. Just my .02.
              "I'd rather die happy than not die at all" Robbie Robertson, W.S. Walcott's Medicine Show.
              1989 325is
              1995 525i

Comment

ya chick... thats what im planing on doing... i just have to get my fluke out and get the ohm's but i have to figure out that the Oem bulb draws first.... then i have to fine the right resistor..

can i remove the little bulb above? that unit comes apart? (guess so, so you can change the bulbs)

but even if i do that (remove) the VDO will still need to be pressed every time i turn the lights on.
                04 e83 X3
                01 e39 540M
                97 e36 328is

sigpic

Comment

what the fuck are you talking about VDO?

EDIT: I get it, you have a VDO cluster so it says VDO right above the check light. You fail.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                  i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                  Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Quit screwing around with resistors and bypass the check control relay thats by the drivers side trunk hinge.
                    -Dave
                    2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Working...
                    X