Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need a new ball joint. What control arms and what bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a new ball joint. What control arms and what bushings?

I need a new driver's ball joint. I figured I'd replace the control arm. From what I have read Lemforder is the way to go. But what arms and what bushings. I have read about 96+ m3 arms, e30 m3 bushings, treehouse bushings and such like that. I have the standard wheels on my 87 325is. What would M3 cab do? What about replacing the stock with "powerflex" parts from bimmer world. I have searched the forum for the past hour and I am still not sure of what I need here. I have the stock suspension. Thanks.
    Jeff
    Last edited by clydesdale; 12-14-2008, 07:14 PM.

http://www.fap99.com/ShopByVehicle.e...ushing&mode=PA

I've got a set of these same CAB's New without box for $15.00 shipped. If interested.

and

http://www.fap99.com/ShopByVehicle.e...ol+Arm&mode=PA

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
    When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's £3.95 per minute.
    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." Jack Nicholson"
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Comment

M3 control arms are simply the same thing in aluminum. No reason to spend the extra for a street car. Offset bushings are really only needed if you've lowered the car. If you have stock springs, standard stuff is fine.
      sigpic

Comment

Will the offset be ok if I did not lower the car?

Comment

I would assume so. The benefits of the offset bushings are that they are solid, they give you a bit more caster, and I noticed a little less dive after the install. Caster can do that, but it may have been the placebo effect. Caster will also give the front a bit more camber as you turn the wheel as well as better straight-line stability. Turn-in will be slightly reduced, but not by much.

You can also go with poly (I would suggest AKG motorsports if you go that route) but they will be a bit noisier. They are easier to install though.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

I am using the AKG on both mine and the wifes' car. Have not noticed much of a difference in noise or harshness (certainly some, but not tons) but a HUGE difference in response, that lovely "planted" feel, and nearly the most important: braking.

I have said it before, I will say it again: the best $50 you can spend on your suspension is AKG urethane CABs.

Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I dont want ot hijack this thread but I am in a similar boat, my car is in the shop and they say the control arms and bushings all need to be replaced. They quoted me $150ea for the control arms, and $38 for the bushings, for a parts total of $338, add $267 labor, were up to $605

Should I order lemforders myself or let them use whatever they have, and what about bushings (my car is lowered, and is also a cabrio if that matters)

BavAuto ~ Bilstein ~ BBS ~ Scorpion ~ MarkD ~ Prolumen

Have you hugged a corner today?

'89 335iC (M30) - summer
              '17 Mazda3 - winter

Comment

You should do your own damn work so YOU know what goes on.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

i agree but i dont have the time to do it all myself, hence why i am having people who know what theyre doing do it

so back to my inquiry, should i buy lemforders myself or use what they have, and should i let them use factory bushings or is there a better alternative for lowered cars

BavAuto ~ Bilstein ~ BBS ~ Scorpion ~ MarkD ~ Prolumen

Have you hugged a corner today?

'89 335iC (M30) - summer
                  '17 Mazda3 - winter

Comment

Originally posted by SynSyx View Post
                    i agree but i dont have the time to do it all myself, hence why i am having people who know what theyre doing do it

so back to my inquiry, should i buy lemforders myself or use what they have, and should i let them use factory bushings or is there a better alternative for lowered cars
                    Personally, I would push for Lemforders and AKG urethane control arm bushings.

Closing SOON!

Comment

+1 on the Lemforders. They have a tendency to last a bit longer, specially if you trak the car much.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Working...
                      X