Check Engine light on!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Engine light on!!

Hey guys. Since the cold weather has set in I have noticed that my check engine light will come on for about 20-30 seconds once I have been driving for a while. Today it came on for a longer period of time and I started to get worried. I know my tranny has a small leak and I haven't topped it up with fluid in a while and the car is also a few kms overdue for an oil change. Could either of these be what is setting it off? What else could it be, and what would you suggest I do? Keep in mind cash is pretty tight right now. Thanks everyone.
    "Drifting an E30 is like pouring out a beer just to get a nickel for the can"

Neither of those (low trans fluid or overdue for an oil change) will set the CEL. Something else is wrong. If this is a late model E30 with a Motronic 1.3 DME you can use the "stomp test" to read out the fault code(s). Otherwise you'll have to have the car scanned to find out why the CEL is coming on.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Where do the codes appear after the stomp test?

Comment

In the blinking pattern of the CEL.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

you get one long blink followed by 4 numbers so it will be like:

bliiiiiiink - blink - blink blink - blink blink - blink - bliiiiiiink

Which would be 1221, aka bad o2 sensor

You need to have 173 DME though and the fault codes can be found here. To do the stomp test just put the key in the on position and stomp on the gas pedal 4 times very quickly.
          -Alex

Comment

Thanks a lot guys.

Comment

check all your vacume hoses i had one fall off under my maf sensor and the light came on but a trany leak and an oil change wouldn't cause the light to come on.

Comment

Working...
              X