steering wheel removal at junkyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering wheel removal at junkyard

Obviously no keys. I already know the "proper" way to do this when keys are present. How to defeat the steering lock so the wheel comes off? Purpose is to remove the turn signal/obc stalk. No, I'm not trying to steal the car. In case you're wondering. Please post or pm if you know how to do this.
    The current fleet:
    1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
    1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

i used a sawzall at the junkyard. cut right behind the wheel about 1/2-3/4 inch into the column and it should cut the lock.

Comment

Damn. I own a sawzall, but not with me (I'm 600 miles from home) and not cordless even if it was here. I found something by searching that says you can use a drill with a 3/8ths bit to drill into the top of the steering column to accomplish the same end -- anyone know the exact location to drill? I might be able to procure one of those.
      The current fleet:
      1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Comment

the yards around me allow no power tools of any sort, so a sawzall wouldn't fly... is there a way to do it without?

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

you can use a hack saw too. one of my buddys did that and said it only took him about 5 mins. its pretty soft aluminum.

Comment

Make sure your e30 key doesn't work? I have a fairly worn key and it seems to unlock around 25% of the time.

Comment

So Nate, hacksaw directly through the column? or just where the stalk mounts? I'm gonna buy a hacksaw and go after it. I already got the obc wiring harness, computer and code relay box. I'm trying to upgrade my 91 318i.

ethree, that's an idea. I do have my keys with me, but the key to one of my e30s is new. The key to the other car is rather old. I guess I'll go there with both of my keys and a hacksaw and hope the keys work lol.
              The current fleet:

Comment

You should take off your own wheel so you can see where the locking mechanism is, it will make it easier for you to defeat it. It on the top in the middle and it pretty small.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
                ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Originally posted by strad View Post
                  So Nate, hacksaw directly through the column? or just where the stalk mounts? I'm gonna buy a hacksaw and go after it. I already got the obc wiring harness, computer and code relay box. I'm trying to upgrade my 91 318i.

ethree, that's an idea. I do have my keys with me, but the key to one of my e30s is new. The key to the other car is rather old. I guess I'll go there with both of my keys and a hacksaw and hope the keys work lol.
                  just slide the blade between the wheel and the plastic column cover and saw away. everynow and then pull on the wheel to see if it will come off. you dont need to saw all the way through the column.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
                    You should take off your own wheel so you can see where the locking mechanism is, it will make it easier for you to defeat it. It on the top in the middle and it pretty small.
                    Lol, the only trouble with that logic is both my E30s are at home, 600 miles from here. I've got my E36 here, which won't help lol. I'll try to find another one at the junkyard with the wheel already off and try and see what it looks like though.

Thanks Nate. And the rest of you. I think I've got a combination of things that might work for me now.
                    The current fleet:

Comment

or you can just pull on the wheel really really hard multiple times and it will come off, but the saw works way better if you have it.

Comment

Since you don't have an E30 with the wheel off to look at, the locking bar is about 3/8x38" and is located at the top of the column. I think you can see it if you break part of the top column cover off. It should only take a few minutes to cut through the locking bar with a hacksaw.
                        Last edited by jlevie; 12-28-2008, 12:36 AM.
                        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I got a wheel off by yanking on it really really hard for about 30 minutes once. That was after it destroyed my steel key too.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                            Since you don't have an E30 with the wheel off to look at, the locking bar is about 3/8x38" and is located at the top of the column. I think you can see it if you break part of the top column cover off. It should only take a few minutes to cut through the locking bar with a hacksaw.
                            What he said,but you can also remove the wheel without sawing.Just pry up the lip of the steering
                            wheel that comes in contact with the locking bar.I have a m tech wheel
                            on my car right now that was scored that way.
                            Last edited by boomer; 12-28-2008, 07:00 AM.

http://www.arghon.com/

Comment

hey boomer, where did you score those LTW reps in your sig?

Comment

Working...
                              X