Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no start problem

90 325is
    coming home today car is running good. I get around the corner from my house and car dies.

It will turn over but does not fire, no sign of it even trying. Sounds like the starter just spinning. I put in in gear and hit the starter and the car moves forward.
    I was thinking it is the timing belt but I thought that if broke it would lock the engine up. Is this a correct assumption?

Any help is greatly needed and appreciated

There are so many things this could be. The first thing to do would be to look into the valve cover while someone engages the starter. If you see the cam turning, the timing belt is still intact. Next you need to determine if there's spark, fuel injector pulses, and correct fuel pressure at the inlet to the fuel rail. The results of those checks will narrow down the possibilities.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Unfortunately based on your description, it sounds like you have experienced a sudden drastic loss of compression, which usually means the timing belt went.

Check the cam as described above.
      -Dave
      2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the info

I went out and looked in the oil filler hole and there was an assortment of loose parts in there. So your diagnosis is correct. Thanks :)

Comment

Originally posted by jimeez View Post
          Thanks guys I appreciate the info

I went out and looked in the oil filler hole and there was an assortment of loose parts in there. So your diagnosis is correct. Thanks :)
          That sucks.
          92 Granite Silver Vert
          M60B40 5spd

Comment

Working...
          X