fill up tank, smells like gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fill up tank, smells like gas

been like this for awhile now. never had any problems with it but right now i just want it fixed. could it be the o-rings under the rear seat? anybody know for sure?

A problem with the filler connections, the vent system, the pump/level sensor plate seal, or corrosion of the top of the tank are all possibilities.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

sounds like the reservoir has a leak. can you only smell it whenever you fill up? if so thats your problem...if not... then its one of those ^^^

Comment

yea im thinking its the pump/level sensor plate seal because one time long ago i lifted the back seat either to vacuum or to replace the top handle, but it smelled more inside.

matt, ya its only when i fill it all the way up. so it sounds like it could be the reservoir has a corrosion leak at the top?

Comment

mine has the same smell..i see residue coming down from the top from time to time. Im going to yank the rear seat out and change both float level gauges anyway. It says I need to fill up and I can only put in 12.3 gallons max. I thought we had 15 gallon tanks.

Comment

/\ most etas have smaller tanks. 13 gallons i believe. my eta does the same and i think its the hose going into the tank itself as it drips on the ground from in front of the right rear wheel. im not going to bother fixing it and reusing the stock tank though. id rather fix the hose and install a I tank instead and get the higher capacity.

Comment

My bet is rust on the top of the tank. I had to replace my tank because of that a few years ago.

Comment

like what others have mentioned, check the seals and connections under the rear seat.

Comment

Had the same problem when I filled my car up. My culprit was a Y connector on filler neck rotted behind right 1/4 panel at the top by the gas cap(inside of 1/4 panel though). I replaced it with a plastic vacum Y from local auto shop and that did it.
                  No spills or smells..

Comment

yea..could be corrosion or rust at the top near the reservoir overflow...quick solution could be to never quite fill it all the way up...lol

otherwise... this guy may have a fix ^^^

Comment

Working...
                    X