Another leak thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another leak thread

Trying to save a ‘91 ix. I’ve got a water leak that is pooling right below and between the brake and clutch pedals, it seems to be flowing/dripping from one of the holes in the fire wall (pedals/wires/idk) I cant really tell because by the time I see it the trail has dried but the puddle is there.

The water is leaking from just rain, car is not driving, and it’s down to new bare (primered) metal. Any idea what is leaking or how to trace it.

I’ve cleaned the elephant ear, and tried to clear the cowls, sunroof drains seem clean and doesn’t seem to be pooling in right spot.

Usually if one of the seals in the firewall is leaking, it's A) rust, or B) a dried and cracked seal. Get a flashlight shining up behind the pedals and start pulling back the edges of the seals around the cables and hoses to see if you can find any moisture or rust. Depending on what you find, or how bad it is, you can usually get away with squeezing some RTV sealant into the groove in the seal to seal it against the edge of the opening in the firewall.

I traced some leaks before using weld check developer (basically talcum powder in an aerosol can). Spray it on the firewall when it's dry, and the coat of powder will streak or wash away when it leaks. Kinda messy since you'll have a fine white powder on the firewall, but it'll definitely point out the leaks.
    sigpic

ClassicBimmerBits.com

Garage:______________________________________
    -1989 Alpinweiss II 325i - Other Daily Driver
    -1989 Zinnoberrot 325i - Daily Driver
    -1974 2002 - Weekender
    -1989 325ix - Totalled :(
    -1981 320i - Sold
    -1986 Porsche 944 Turbo - Sold

Comment

I’ll try and get some of that weld check seems like just the thing.

Any idea what what this brown thing is in the driver footwell way up in the left corner basically behind the dash or how to get it out? I definitely have some water coming from behind it

Comment

I believe that brown stuff is sound deadening foam. That is going to be tricky to pull back. Loosen the nut on that black plastic bracket and pull the bracket back. That should get you access to the foam.

I would spend some time making sure the fender well drains on that side are clear. Also the sun roof drains all the way to the rockers. Also, make sure the rockers are clear of debris.
        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

So found it. More rust, more holes. Behind that sound deadening is a hole at the top of the wheel well and right under the fuse box in the engine compartment. It looks like there is a leak in hood seal water and crap pooling under that box went behind the wheel well coating and ate into the cabin.

Yay more cutting and welding!

also the other leak is a dried up floor pan plug that’s right behind the pedals.

Comment

Working...
          X