Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I start the car, the parking brake, antilock, and charging lights are on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I start the car, the parking brake, antilock, and charging lights are on.

They go out if i rev the engine. It wasnt doing that previously. Over the weekend, I changed out the instrument cluster circuit board, but was working fine the last couple of days. I dont think that is the issue, at least i hope it isnt. It seems to be the alternator, but with this car, I am not sure. Ideas?

12.1v with engine off. At idle with those 3 lights on, 13v. Rev to 2000 and the lights go off... mostly. 14.2v+ Revving the engine and the charging light comes on faintly.
    Last edited by doctorx; 10-09-2019, 08:01 PM.

The voltage regulator is probably at fault, so either get that or another alternator, but you should check the belt tension and your engine bay grounds first.

Comment

Your battery is not holding a good enough charge for the computers to function good. A healthy battery is 12.8 volts. The car runs off the battery. The alternator only keeps the battery charged!
      The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        The voltage regulator is probably at fault, so either get that or another alternator, but you should check the belt tension and your engine bay grounds first.
        i have a new one on the way. Hopefully today. New belt and it is proper tension. Ill check the grounds also.

Brand new battery.. (well.. 9 months old anyways).

Comment

turned out the alternator was bad. new Vr did not fix it. Tested bad. Thanks!

Comment

Bummer, but at least you got it sorted.

Comment

Working...
            X