Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random power loss, only happens in winter (m52 swap)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random power loss, only happens in winter (m52 swap)

Ok guys, I thought I had solved my random power loss issue, but it just came back the other day.

Quick info on swap:
    M52 obd1 swap
    M50 intake
    Pink top injectors
    413 red ecu trm chip

The issue is random other than that it ONLY occurs during winter months, when winter gas is being used. I am not sure if its the gas change, or the air temp change that causes this.

So every now and then, when I go to accelerate (usually happens while im already moving, in 3rd-5th gear) the car will just stop suddenly accelerating, almost like the TB is freezing. (I do have the coolant lines running to the tb) When the car does this, I instinctly start pushing the gas pedal in and out until the power SUDDENLY will kick back in. It can make for some sketchy moments when im trying to merge onto the highway.

Here are some things I have tried/replaced to try and resolve the issue:
    -Swap another ecu in, both with trm chip and stock m20 chip
    -Checked for intake leaks, none found
    -New, clean injectors
    -Swapped MAFs
    -Swapped coils
    -New spark plugs
    -New coolant temp sensor
    -Replaced vanos solenoid
    -New fuel pump, filter (tested fuel pressure, all looked good)
    -New fuel regulator
    -Replaced TB, vacuum nipple capped
    -New tps

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on what I should be looking at next. I am considering getting a new tune chip, as maybe its not adapting to the winter gas? When I take the intake boot off, I do notice some milky looking oil in the intake boot, however I have noticed this in summer months (not as milky) and I havent thought this would be an issue.

If you made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read this.
    Current:
    1989 325i
    1988 M3
    1987 325ic
    Past:
    2001 330ci
    2001 M3

I am assuming that you are driving normally when this happens (not in WOT). You can rule out the fuel system by installing a gauge and determining of the pressure drops. Another option is to use a wide band 02 sensor and see if the AF ratio goes lean or fat.

Comment

I had similar problems, T'd a fuel pressure gauge just before the rail. Turned out to be rust/debris in the tank.

Seems doubtful if it only happens in the winter though

Comment

Working...
      X