Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motor, trans, and subframe up from the floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor, trans, and subframe up from the floor?

Motor and trans are ready to go back in.

We are working on the front subframe and thinking we may attempt to put the motor and trans with subframe back into the car from the floor. We don’t have a lift, and have 2 jacks plus a bunch of stands.

Thoughts? We could do the subframe to motor and put all in from the bottom or we could put front subframe back in and drop the motor and trans from the top.

The height you are able to raise the front of car before the back of the car hits the ground is the important part here so measure first.

The angles of the subframe to chassis will be very tricky, especially with weight on it, additionally the whole assy will be very unstable to move or raise, so two people would be essential if the right tools are not available.

Making an engine support bar with ratchet straps or similar to hold the assy would probably help too, but personally, I'd just use an engine hoist.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      The height you are able to raise the front of car before the back of the car hits the ground is the important part here so measure first.

The angles of the subframe to chassis will be very tricky, especially with weight on it, additionally the whole assy will be very unstable to move or raise, so two people would be essential if the right tools are not available.

Making an engine support bar with ratchet straps or similar to hold the assy would probably help too, but personally, I'd just use an engine hoist.
      I do believe I have enough room to angle the car up enough to get the motor and trans under it with the subframe.

Thinking - raise front of car more, slide motor and trans under, bring engine hoist above and hook up to motor. Put jacks under control arms, jack under trans and lift slowly. (btw I do have another person with me).

or I just put subframe back in and drop it from the top. That easier?

Comment

Put the subframe back in and just drop it in from the top. It may save you a lot of time and effort if you have to ditch the initial plan and do it the traditional way.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeeVaughn View Post
          Put the subframe back in and just drop it in from the top. It may save you a lot of time and effort if you have to ditch the initial plan and do it the traditional way.

It’s in. Went from the bottom. Won’t do that again. It’s coming from the top from here in out if I gotta do this again.

Comment

Working...
          X