Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heater/Air Conditioning unit late model early model compatibilty

Hi all,
    I found a replacement a/c heater box out of an 1986 325e coupe in the junkyard (I have to replace mine due to it keeps eating blower motors)......................
    I was visually comparing the the 86 with mine and I dont see the difference.
    Real OEM says there are a bunch of a/c boxes for the e30.
    Here is what came up under my car build date 12/1989. 325i coupe

link to above picture: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=64111386521

Real OEM said these are the following compatible and non compatible boxes:

link to above picture: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=64111386521

My question is how do I identify different A/C boxes and know which ones are compatible?

and is there a proper way to search the forums? I searched but Im having my doubts my search was effective.

Lieben Sie Schlangen ?

Originally posted by 3toedshewie View Post
    (I have to replace mine due to it keeps eating blower motors)
    Define "eating blower motors" please. Strange you would need to replace the box.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Hi Tomstin,

The wheel on the drivers side of the motor is digging into the airbox (the very outer drivers side edge of the fan) one fan was destroyed already. I replaced the fan, thinking it was fan/fan motor related, and now the new fan is rubbing on the airbox, I can hear a loud rubbing noise, so I think the fan mount on the airbox is bad. Also, because the old fan carved a ditch in the airbox, im thinking I want to just replace it rather than fix the airbox I have.

Lieben Sie Schlangen ?

Comment

Very odd, sorry but I can't help on the interchangeability
        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

First, your fan is either the wrong one, (AC and non AC fans differ) or mounted incorrectly if it's making contact. Second, I think all E30 AC boxes are interchangeable with the heater core valve, which is outside of the box, being the only significant difference.

Also, replacing the box is a non trivial task, but is a great time to repair cracks, degraded form, or whatever else may have gone wrong in 30 plus years.

Comment

Working...
          X