Battery charge and alternator at cold temperatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery charge and alternator at cold temperatures

Have a '88 325i with an odd battery issue (to me) which happens only at cold temperatures.

When I start the car 3 lights are on (parking brake, brake fluid and battery). When I start driving they stay on and sometimes never go off. Radio and the computer don't work either.

​​​​​​If the above happens, the battery is usually dead in soavout 10 min if I don't stop and start the car again.

The lights go off only when I hear a woshing sound from the back at which time everything is working.

Anyone have any clues as to what this could be? Alternator or something else?

I had this exact issue. It turned out the alternator was bad. I tried changing out the VR first and didnt help. Only cleared up once i replaced the alternator.

Comment

Take the alternator off and have it checked at a parts store. I tested an alternator on a focus that charged at 14.66 volts. Took it to the parts store for testing and found out it was actually bad. The reg and rectifier were bad.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks guys. Will give with a go. Did notice with the help of another member here that if I go up to 3k everything starts working fine and the battery is not loosing charge anymore.

This is resolved. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X