2 Cursed Chassis' pls share

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Cursed Chassis' pls share

First thing is first, I am a long time researcher with ample knowledge to work on this chariot I don't sign up to forums due
    to the abundance of knowledge already on the web, goes with out saying R3VLimited is top knotch and my go to so,
    thank you to all who bled through trial by fire, salutes.
    NO Pics sorry. upon enough request i may.
    STORY TIME; I bought an e30 shell (coupe) from 86' everything is straight yet needs everything. EVERYTHING!
    also the floor board has bad rust issues so the entire floor will need to be replaced, I can manage that in time.
    I have a fresh rebuilt m20 from the machine shop ready although I still needS trivial components, no mind.
    IN LIEU; I purchased a sexy, complete and running sedan e30 from 88' top knotch minus the missing interior.
    to wrap this up quickly, whilst test driving I noticed a shake at speeds above 40, more so than occasionally so
    i parked it. I did some digging and turns out the right front end was hit from the side and underneath, later pulled out
    and quite well. The grill doesn't quite line properly and there is a rusting, bending crease from the smash just before the
    strut tower. took measurements from each chassis and turns out the 4dr is pushed in 1/2 an inch at most (on the inside). so
    im left broken myself because id love to roll with the saloon but the coupe, is straight.
    Pls let me know what you think, your opinions. what to do because god save the 88 :(

Head Answer - use the floor from the 4 door to cut out rust repair panels + take the misc other parts you need to finish off your rebuilt M20 and fix the coupe. Will always be worth more than the 4 door a the end of the day.

Heart Answer (if you really do like the 4 door) - if the chassis on the 4 door isn't too bad, take it to a panel shop with a chassis jig and get them to pull it back into shape. When I had the accident in mine, the panel beater found that the car had been in a previous accident with a slight chassis bend - they put it on the chassis jig and pulled it witout problems. Cost me $300 extra for the chassis straightening on top of the $1200 of paint I was getting done.
    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Thank you Luke-Aid, quick response in such a way.. so after much rum and little deliberation, I found myself
      with a few more issues to consider. ill just ask in order ( anyone else, feel free to chime in)

Question # uno- how prompt were you to repairing the damage afterwards? Immediately?
      Question two- what sort of rust issues have you had?
      Question 3,4- Does the floor board of a sedan match a coupe? will I lose value if I purchase sheet metal instead?

My mind frame was to daily the sedan ( just a street car, not for show, it is nice..) with the rebuild
      and then stunt the coupe' with a possible m50 swap.. idk.
      I feel as though the right corner of the 88' could be sliced and spliced? not so much..
      I ask about the rust because I fear if the shop pulls that side out and forward it will tear because of the rust.
      ( never truly plum) its complicated, im aware, sorry.
      Ill be making phone calls as soon as Monday hits. Sadly your $300 will look like $800 on my side im sure.
      thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X