No announcement yet.

Need to replace broken brake line- I think this is the abs pump- please advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to replace broken brake line- I think this is the abs pump- please advise

I need to replace a line on my 87 325is. The car is in rough shape and it rusted a brake line. This attaches to the big junction box at the front of he driver's side fender. Is that the ABS device? Anything special to do here? I have replaced other lines, but never from this device. Thanks. I wanted to post a picture, but it says the file size is too large.

Front left inner fender area would be where the ABS pump lives. It also says ABS on the black plastic cover of the pump assembly. Replacement and bleeding is the same as usual if you have always been successful bleeding the brakes without cycling the ABS pump.

Comment

Great. Thank you. I ordered an 11mm flare crowfoot to reach the one that is below the master cylinder on the fender. I would be looking straight down at that fitting. That is the line that runs up to the pump and rusted. I am wondering how it attaches there. Do you think I have to hold the other side with another wrench or is it stabilized to the fender? I don't want to wreck the other line. Thanks.

Comment

The only fitting below the master cylinder is the rear proportioning valve IIRC, and it's a small cylinder.

As far as I remember, E30 brake lines run forward to the ABS pump from the master and then to their respective wheels/axle.

Comment

ok, I confirmed that it is indeed the line that goes to the top of the proportioning valve. The question is what size wrench is supposed to go on there? I fit a 19mm on the cylinder. It seems to fit ok, but the wrench is bit thick and does not feet perfect in this spot. I think I can make it work, but any idea what the proper wrench is for ATE part# W01331617672ATE? Thanks.

Comment

For future reference, I used a 19mm wrench to hold the proportioning valve and an 11mm crow's foot to loosen the line.

Comment

Well, I replaced the line. But, I can't bleed the damn brakes. I have a Motive power bleeder, but I am not getting anywhere. It is not pushing fluid out of the calipers, yet I have 15psi on the bleeder. Is the abs stuck with air? Any idea how to get this thing bleeding.

Comment

Crack the lines open at the ABS pump outlet to clear air. Don't do this under much pressure.

If the ABS pump outlets are flowing do the same sort of thing and move down the lines progressively until there is no fluid.

You may need to use a scanner to actuate the ABS pump, this can be done with the Foxwell unit sold as Schwaben tools/other brands. or other units.

Comment

Thank you. I cracked open the new line at the abs. I got a little fluid and then proceeded to bleed just the rears. I stopped there for tonight because the right front bleeder screw is rusted badly. I drove the car a bit and I have pretty damn good brakes. So, I may leave well enough alone for now. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X