Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations on a good front skid plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations on a good front skid plate?

Ive seen the Red46 one and the one by Turner..wanted to see what you guys recommend and why. Should I even get one? My E30 is just sitting on HR sports. Are skid plates only if you're super low? When you have one on can others see it as you're approaching?

I've tried both the Race Skids plate and the Red46 plate, and they're both good products. I personally prefer the Red46 plate as it has a plate with the securing nuts welded to it, so it makes install/removal of the front of the skid plate a little easier. The Red46 plate is stainless steel, so it's more noticeable than the Race Skids plate (which is powder-coated black), but you really have to be looking for it on the bottom of the car. I have one on my 24v car and the iS front lip blocks it for the most part.

HR Sport springs aren't terribly low, but the skid plate is cheap insurance against damaging the oil pan and does add some peace of mind, especially on poor quality roads. My car is on HR OE Sport springs (which sit higher than regular sport springs) and the skid plate has definitely saved the pan a few times from debris and potholes in the road.
    Last edited by mtech325; 03-10-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
      I've tried both the Race Skids plate and the Red46 plate, and they're both good products. I personally prefer the Red46 plate as it has a plate with the securing nuts welded to it, so it makes install/removal of the front of the skid plate a little easier. The Red46 plate is stainless steel, so it's more noticeable than the Race Skids plate (which is powder-coated black), but you really have to be looking for it on the bottom of the car. I have one on my 24v car and the iS front lip blocks it for the most part.

HR Sport springs aren't terribly low, but the skid plate is cheap insurance against damaging the oil pan and does add some peace of mind, especially on poor quality roads. My car is on HR OE Sport springs (which sit higher than regular sport springs) and the skid plate has definitely saved the pan a few times from debris and potholes in the road.
      Thank you for the detailed response! Is the race skid plate harder to install and/or less secure than the Race46 one?

Comment

They both mount the same way, so I wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other. They both mount to the subframe using the steering rack bolts, while the front is mounted to the lower core support by drilling small holes. The minor difference is the Race Skids version use bolts and lock nuts on the front, while the Red46 plate mounts to the core support with bolts that thread into a bracket with nuts welded to it already, so you don't need another wrench up top to secure the bolts during install.

Comment

Working...
        X