Tachometer codier stecker, need more info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer codier stecker, need more info

I have a 09/86 325e that I bought year ago. The tach always seemed off (7K tach). I have been digging into this off and on for a while. I have a motometer instrument set, but someone has modified it because when I ordered motometer gears to fix the odometer, I found that I had a VDO speedometer. The tach I am not sure what it is from.

I have never been able to find a code plug on the instrument cluster. But I found this thing called a codier stecker with a #03 on the end. And after reading some German forums, apparently this is an older way to control the tach. The long plug presses in pins or lets them out, thus "coding" the tach for the engine/tach limit.

I went to real OEM and found the part, Its #10 while the normal coding plug is #11: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=62_0064

I want to know if I have the right one (I don't think I do because with 2.93 final drive ther is no way I am crusing at 3500 rpm) and how to get/find/identify the right one. I'm assuming I want the 325i, the 7k tach and 6cyl engine.

Anyone mess with this before?

Pics added:
    Attached Files

Comment

Codier stecker is coding plug in German. I found this not-so-good image off Reddit that should be the translation for the number on the end of the plug.
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X