Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have had a bad vibration from 0-25 miles per hour for a long time- Guibo advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had a bad vibration from 0-25 miles per hour for a long time- Guibo advice?

I have had this vibration for a long time. I have been very gentle, at times had to throw the hazards on, and have limped this car along for years with this issue. It has reached critical mass and I have the time to repair it finally. I would have the car on 4 ramps. I do not have a parking brake. Is there a way to do this without a functional parking brake. The car is a rust bucket and I need to remove only what is absolutely necessary. Any advice? Thank you.

jack stands are better and safer than ramps get that rust bucket up and get under there with your creeper and have a look see. could be several things going on sent from hell using tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by clydesdale View Post
      The car is a rust bucket and I need to remove only what is absolutely necessary. Any advice? Thank you.
      Have you local wrecker tow it away.

If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Anything is possible but on the ramps the issue you will run into is you need to be able to spin the driveshaft to gain access to the various nuts and bolts. The exhaust needs to come down. Easier with both front and back pipes down but do-able with just the rear out of the way. The three shields all need to come off. So, if its rusty, get a good penetrating spray. Without the parking brake, you will need to get creative to lock the wheels. Good luck!
        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

That is why I was wondering if being on ramps would be better. What is the reason for needing to lock the rear wheels? Is it just to remove bolts from the drive shaft to rear end? I was under the car last year and the guibo was cracked. I am not ready to toss it to the wrecker yet. Why would jack stands be safer than ramps? I have four ramps and have set them up where you jack the car up and then rest it on all 4 ramps with the ramps facing each other so that the car can't roll.

Comment

you want the wheels to be able to spin. sent from hell using tapatalk
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            '90 325i sedan daily driven
            '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Yes, you have a bit of a problem there without the parking brake. You need to be able to spin the rear wheels to get to the various bolts but locking the wheels (I did it with the parking brake) in order to brake the nuts loose. Time for some creativity!
              2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

You don't need to drop the exhaust to change out the guibo. Just unbolt the plate and slide out sideways to the passenger side.

The rear wheels do need to be free there's no going around it as you need to spin the wheels to turn the driveshaft to access the other bolts, so borrow some jackstands. You can have the same friend you borrowed the jackstands from sit in the car and hit the brakes when youre cracking the bolts free. Do change these bolts, especially if its rusted.

If someone has changed the guibo before odds are all the bolts will be pointed at the front of your car, which is good, go ahead and reinstall them that way. BMW staggers them in different directions and it has been argued to hell and back that it isn't really needed. If they are staggered in different directions then more disassembly will be required and just reassemble with all the bolts pointed towards the front. Might as well change out your CSB while you're in there. Whether or not you replace it remember to preload towards the front of the car by a couple mm before you cinch it back down. Plenty of write-ups on this topic. GLWR.
                "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't..." - Milton Berle

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Working...
                X