No start after maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No start after maintenance

I have a 318is with an m40 engine not the m42. I bought it running and decided to do some maintenance on it as it had no records before I drove it around. Sat for a little over a month and I can't get it to start now. Motronic 1.3 ecu. What was done. Timing belt, water pump, viscous fan coupling, rotor, cap, plugs, inlet tube, valve cover gasket, valve breather hose, vacuum hose running from a fpr (I think) to a tee and the hose that runs from that tee to the throttle body. The three hoses tore during maintenance. I got the battery charged after I couldn't jump it. When I turn the key I hear a relay click, I'm guessing the dme. If I jump the fuel pump relay, the fuel pump runs. I pulled the wire and plug on cylinder 2 and it sparks well. It smells like gas but wasn't wet. I tried following the bavauto guide and I think the injectors are not firing. At least they don't sound like anything and I thought the sound would be obvious. I bought a multimeter and tried doing the pin out testing for the ecu but I don't really know what I'm doing. I tried activating the main relay but was told by my helper it didn't click. Would love any possible help on this. I'm kinda lost and confused and don't want to spend hours stabbing my multimeter at the ecu if I'm doing it wrong. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are 100% sure the timing is not 180 degrees out?

Comment

Hmm no I'm not. I've never timed an engine before.

I thought, one revolution of the flywheel would be one for turn of the crank. With a timing hole at tdc only. Unless there are two timing holes, or one revolution of the flywheel is one half the crank.

There's an arrow, on the side of the block. And an arrow on the camshaft gear. Neither seem to line up really to anything. Camshaft to like a corner of the case, but I couldn't make sense of anything on the crank pulley. It's very possible it's 180 degree off.

Comment

Will this help with checking the timing is correct?

2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Nonamedude View Post
          Hmm no I'm not. I've never timed an engine before.

I thought, one revolution of the flywheel would be one for turn of the crank. With a timing hole at tdc only. Unless there are two timing holes, or one revolution of the flywheel is one half the crank.

There's an arrow, on the side of the block. And an arrow on the camshaft gear. Neither seem to line up really to anything. Camshaft to like a corner of the case, but I couldn't make sense of anything on the crank pulley. It's very possible it's 180 degree off.
          4 stroke engine move 4 strokes to complete a cycle (720 degrees). The cam moves at half the speed of the crank. For every crank revolution the cam turns half (180 degrees). If you didn't move the crank or cam when the timing belt was off and put it back on closely, you should be good. But having the cam 180 degrees off, the engine would not start. Since the engine ran before it was taken apart, i would assume the electronics are fine. And you have spark.

Try this, spray something flammable down the intake, like starting fluid, brake cleaner, carb cleaner. See if it runs on that. If so, you have a fuel deliver issue.

Comment

I pulled the valve cover and checked everything. Timing is... Where it was before. Camshaft is on, cylinder 1 tdc on compression stroke. I noticed the crank pulley is off from where tdc should be by about 7 teeth but there's also a paint mark on that spot so someone timed it there before me. Also the flywheel lock is in place so that seems odd but shouldn't be my issue. Spark plug from the first cylinder smells like gas. Good idea with the starting fluid. I hadn't considered that! I'll try that tonight if I have anything. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post
              You are 100% sure the timing is not 180 degrees out?
              Turns out this was really close to correct and helped me figure it out so thanks! I had the spark plug wires in the wrong order on the distributor with 1,3 on top instead of bottom. Also had the thermostat housing gasket in wrong. Both of those fixed and it definitely runs! It has more issues. Primarily the wandering idle that seemed to be getting better as it ran. I'll have to look into that as I know there can be a number of reasons. Thanks again! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome, it's always good to get a car running again! If you have unrelated issues, start a new thread so others can benefit from the information.

Comment

Working...
                X