Fuel pump keeps running key in 'run' position but won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pump keeps running key in 'run' position but won't start

Hi, been a long time since I've posted. I've checked the FAQ but can't find this particular situation...my 84 318i has been running fine, and all of a sudden I can't get it to start. The engine will turn and eventually 'start' but belches white smoke and sputters out. Hitting the gas does nothing. I've checked the #11 fuse, the relays click when turning the key, battery is charged, and tank is full. I've tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. I did notice putting the key in 'run' before starting it, the fuel pump starts running and stays running until I turn the key back out of 'run'. When I pulled the #11 fuse out , it stopped running. The only thing I did before this happened, was attach my glove box after it had fallen. I know the ECU is in there and have heard that loose wires can cause issues under there but I don't see anything that looks cut or disconnected. Anything else obvious this may be before I have to call for a tow? Thanks

First, take a look under the oil fill cap and see what the oil looks like. If the head gasket is blown it will look like a milkshake. Then pull the spark plugs, are they wet with fuel, as in flooded? While the plugs are out, are you getting spark at the plugs? Sounds like you may have fuel with the pump running.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Thanks tomstin ... I ended up getting a tow to my mechanic. I'll update here with what they found. Thank goodness for Hagerty free towing!

Comment

Just to add two cents - fp should only operate while cranking, not with the ignition in run.
        "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't..." - Milton Berle

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Working...
        X