Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any recoomendations for shifters and knobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any recoomendations for shifters and knobs?

So I have been researching about short shifters and new knobs and I'm kind of confused on route I should take. I have seen many people say they would go with old Z3 shifters but i feel like getting an aftermarket one with a universal threaded handle or something to put like a wood grain knob. I don't know if anybody makes something like this so would anyone have recommendations. Right now I just have that stock e30 shifter with that center slit with a weighted knob on it but it just slides up and down cause it's not threaded or anything.

Lots of aftermarket companies make adapters for threaded knobs. Raceseng for example. I like the Raceseng knob in my subaru so I'll likely get one for the bmw too. A bit pricey though. They can be used on the stock style shifter. I wouldn't let knob choice dictate shifter choice. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's all preference. Sits taller because of the ssk but here's mine. Old school with a flair from ireland: Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't..." - Milton Berle

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Originally posted by Nonamedude View Post
        Lots of aftermarket companies make adapters for threaded knobs. Raceseng for example. I like the Raceseng knob in my subaru so I'll likely get one for the bmw too. A bit pricey though. They can be used on the stock style shifter. I wouldn't let knob choice dictate shifter choice. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Yeah shifter was the personalization touch i was gonna throw in. Mine shifter just comes right off though while turning and shifting though so an adapter from the stock to threaded shifter was what i was thinking, although it makes me wonder if that would just slide off but it could just be my current knob is not on all the way or broken inside. Ill give it a good careful slap on top just to make sure. I will look into one of those adapters though.

Comment

Originally posted by E30Bastard View Post
          It's all preference. Sits taller because of the ssk but here's mine. Old school with a flair from ireland: Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
          That's very sleek. I always like the old style wood grain knobs or 8 ball ones. Or maybe I'll just be like a civic and get the katana everybody has lol. Stuff like the shift knob gets me excited to work on the inside cabin more.

Comment

I broke my shifter knob trying to twist it off like an idiot. So when I shift into reverse I can feel it flexing some. From the looks of the Raceseng adapter, it slots over the existing spot on the shifter and then has a set screw to hold it in place on the shifter body. Then their shifter knob threads onto that. If you've got $150 to burn you can get custom colored and textured stuff from them. Mine is also heavy af and part of why I like it. That said, I imagine most aftermarket shifter knobs for an e30 take the design into consideration somehow to make sure it's real solid. Like I'm sure the $40 delrin knob from garagistic is solid too. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Nonamedude View Post
              I broke my shifter knob trying to twist it off like an idiot. So when I shift into reverse I can feel it flexing some. From the looks of the Raceseng adapter, it slots over the existing spot on the shifter and then has a set screw to hold it in place on the shifter body. Then their shifter knob threads onto that. If you've got $150 to burn you can get custom colored and textured stuff from them. Mine is also heavy af and part of why I like it. That said, I imagine most aftermarket shifter knobs for an e30 take the design into consideration somehow to make sure it's real solid. Like I'm sure the $40 delrin knob from garagistic is solid too. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Yeah the current shift knobs feels nice and weighted which i like but i just got a bad impression from it slipping off i guess. I'll try and slap it into the e30 shifter clips and see if it stays on. If not ill probably just look into an adapter that looks good. Thanks for the advice I appreciate all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasE30 View Post
                So I have been researching about short shifters and new knobs and I'm kind of confused on route I should take. I have seen many people say they would go with old Z3 shifters but i feel like getting an aftermarket one with a universal threaded handle or something to put like a wood grain knob. I don't know if anybody makes something like this so would anyone have recommendations. Right now I just have that stock e30 shifter with that center slit with a weighted knob on it but it just slides up and down cause it's not threaded or anything.
                This is what i currently rock, its a very tight fit on the shifter, no play at all
                85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Comment

Originally posted by Slybeanx View Post

This is what i currently rock, its a very tight fit on the shifter, no play at all
                  That looks very sleek as well, I like the interior too. May i ask how you got to add that center console storage and what cupholders you put in? I need something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasE30 View Post

That looks very sleek as well, I like the interior too. May i ask how you got to add that center console storage and what cupholders you put in? I need something like that.
                    Husco Armrest
                    85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Comment

Z3 shifter - garagistic DSSR - garagistic delrin shift knob with knob insert

Comment

Working...
                      X