In dash wiring and random buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In dash wiring and random buttons

So I'm trying to sort out what is and isn't in my dash. It came to me missing lots of stuff and need help identifying things because I've tried reading the wiring diagrams and still can't figure it out. This is a 91 318is. First the easy thing. I think this is supposed to be the window lock out but it doesn't do anything. Maybe it's unhooked. Top switch of the three. I think that big bulky thing is some sort of radio adapter. It's wired in with twist caps and I'd like to add a radio back eventually. I think that white thing is a busted fog light switch. There was a fog light switch in the door panel with 4 prongs and the plug only has two wires. Neither make the fog lights come on. Now I figured out that one plug was for the a/c and recirculation. I plugged that in to get it out of the way. Figured out which one was for the hazard with a switch I bought off a forum member. I think the blue and green plug is a fader? Doesn't look right though. I'm guessing the red thing is just an led but none of the dash lighting or cluster lighting is working. I decided the other plug there must be for the unplugged defroster button. Even though it has 6 prongs and the plug has 5 wires. The last and most complicated imo This is under the steering column area. It has a wire plugged in that runs to just under the clutch pedal. There's a fuse in that cluster of wires and no part numbers. Wtf is it? Any and all help is appreciated. I'm off to test fuses to see if any are blown for my dash lighting. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So fuse 21 is blown. It's got a really old looking 15a in there. This seems to be a common issue. I have wires everywhere but I think everything I've done is safe from shorting. I'll have to take a look. Apparently it's supposed to be a 7.5a. Doesn't give me much hope for that but that'll likely need to be another thread and more research first. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Holy Cow, I thought mine was bad. Will review and get back to you soon! 👍 Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
      "It wouldn't be there if it wasn't..." - Milton Berle

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Before I crack open the diagrams here are the easy answers just from looking at my car - The blue/green connector is not the fader. Pic attached of the fader. The unit with the zip tie and the plug with the led light are the remnants of some idiot's bright idea to install an alarm. The ancient double sided backing probably had the brain attached to the abs module. Cut that zip tie and take a better pic for me. Whatever happens it has to go. The white thing is definitely covering where the fog light switch should go. Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Oh, and the switch on the top right is definitely the window lock! Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Sweet. While checking fuses I noticed one of the fog fuses was missing. Installed that with the non damaged fog switch and now one works. The other I'll assume is a blown bulb for now. I don't have anything like the fader switch in my dash (that I can see). Is it possible the late models have a different one? I'll clip that zip tie tomorrow when it's light and I can get a better photo. I was wondering if it was a non working alarm. I figured the little light was a alarm thing but was hoping it was just a dummy light. Eventually everything is going to get gutted but I figured I'd figure out what stuff was first. Thanks! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Update: Pull the cluster. Plenty of threads on this so I won't go into detail.

Afterwards check white/C2 connector (left side of cluster if you are facing it). Dismantle it to expose the pinout, "dismantling" to the point of exposing the stamped pinout easy if you take a moment to look at it (pulling up on the connector housing will separate it from the harness). Once you dismantle it the numbers of the pinout are visible. Test pin #23 for voltage with the light switch pulled. If you have voltage on pin #23 then the next step is to replace the cluster bulbs. If you don't have voltage on pin #23 then your fuse is to blame. The fuse which powers your instrument/cluster lights is fuse #21 and fuse #23. I'd replace the bulbs on the cluster and yank the switch to test. After you replace the bulbs odds are you get lights, especially now that you've replaced the burned fuse #21. Make sure you get the correct wattage lights to replace. Speaking of fuses, check them all. Here's a link from a 91:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/101-p...ox-layout.html

Moving on to the green/blue connector.
              Last edited by E30Bastard; 04-15-2020, 12:48 AM.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Also...wtf? You have two AC controls connected. The top AC switch should be a hazard switch. Correct that by unplugging it at the very least. That switch should not be connected to that harness.

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

To answer your final question the green/blue connector is for a 6 button OBC computer.

Let me know what happens tomorrow. GLWR.
                  Attached Files

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Originally posted by E30Bastard View Post
                    Also...wtf? You have two AC controls connected. The top AC switch should be a hazard switch. Correct that by unplugging it at the very least. That switch should not be connected to that harness.
                    Yea that was cuz I had multiple old switches laying around. Not any I bought just stuff from the old owner. I put the hazard lights switch there first and the fan started spinning. It's since been removed and plugged into the right place. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting that is the obc plug. Thanks. I thought I felt something plugged into the obc... I'll have to check. New 12v 3w bulbs were put in the cluster when I took all those pics. I'm waiting for odometer gears to come in and then I'll pull the cluster again. I was hoping that the new fuse would make my lights work. I'll make sure it's all good and test that pin out this weekend likely when my order comes from garagistic. When you say test pin 23 for voltage with the light switched pulled, do you mean removed, or pulled into the on position? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

On position! Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

More photos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Something to note. My car has an m40 engine in it not an m42. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Please follow that loom of wires plugged into the unit and take a pic of what it looks like under the dash/floormat looking up. 100% alarm btw. That fuse doesn't exist in any bmw e30 config i know of. Also that red vampire clip is such bs. It's all gotta go haha The wiring by the clutch is completely stock. I recognize it and will let you know what it is shortly. Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1988 325iS - M20

Comment

Working...
                              X