Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 long starts - hot or cold

Hello,
    I have a hodge-podge of a 1987 BMW 325. It currently has an m20b23 block with 885 head and a motronic 1.3 conversion. Running a later style harness with the separate fuel injection harness. Anyway, I had an intermittent long start issue which I figured was a leaking or intermittently stuck injector, so I replaced all my injectors with 19lb Bosch injectors on eBay. I did the 19lb upgrade because even with my 885 head paired with the smaller 2.3l block, I would lean out pretty easily with an M30 intake. Huge difference in power, pulls very well, but starting the car now has gotten worse. Hot or cold start takes forever, sometimes I have to floor it to get it to reliably start within 10 seconds. When it gets going, its rough for a bit, like not enough fuel pressure is built up to run the injectors .Eventually, it smooths out. My FPR isn't spraying gas out of the vacuum port, but I don't 100% trust it. It IS an OEM Bosch part, so it might be original to the engine (which is an '83). I'm planning on finding a fuel pressure gauge this weekend, but I am not sure which line I should hook it up to, as I don't have a cold start injector. I am tempted to pull the fuel rail again and run the pump inplace to see if I have a new stuck injector. I can't figure out where else I'd be losing line pressure. Any other tips or things to look out for? The car runs great when its started and sat idling for a couple of seconds, doesn't smell super rich.
    Last edited by 128keaton; 04-17-2020, 02:34 PM.

Motronic 1.1 requires a cold start injector. Spray some starting fluid (something flammable in the engine) and see if it starts up.

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post
      Motronic 1.1 requires a cold start injector. Spray some starting fluid (something flammable in the engine) and see if it starts up.
      My bad, Motronic 1.3. I'll check tonight or tomorrow and see. It will always start up, just takes a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post
        No it doesn’t. Only Motronic 1.0 requires a cold start injector, and that’s only in areas where the temperature gets below ~40-50 F in the winter. Motronic 1.1/1.3 handle the cold start by enriching the air-fuel mixture based the coolant temp sensor reading.
        1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
        1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post

No it doesn’t. Only Motronic 1.0 requires a cold start injector, and that’s only in areas where the temperature gets below ~40-50 F in the winter. Motronic 1.1/1.3 handle the cold start by enriching the air-fuel mixture based the coolant temp sensor reading.
          Thank you, thats what I thought. I've worked on all three, having an eta and all, and I knew that had a CSI. If I were to connect a fuel pressure gauge, would I tee in off the line at the firewall or off the FPR? My gut says firewall, but most of the pictures I've seen reference the CSI as a good spot to tee into.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post

HPSI Motorsports is an industry leading manufacturer specializing high quality silicone hose kits for engine performance and longevity.

For the sake of information clarity, the 325es uses motronic 1.1 and it uses a cold start injector. Where do you get the information that is doesn't?

Comment

Working...
            X