Fuel tank rust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel tank rust?

I’m trying to get my E30 back on the road after a couple of years parked and a couple more not being driven much. The last time I had it out a year or so ago it started and warmed up fine and drove ok until randomly cutting out and almost but not completely stalling. It’d backfire but not die. I shut it off for a few minutes and was able to drive it home with a couple more stops.

Online suggestions were rust in the tank or other fuel delivery problems. I finally popped the pump out today to take a look and it’s rust-colored in there but I don’t see any sizable rust particles, even trying to stir stuff up off the bottom. Does this look bad?

This could also just be bad gas? I stupidly parked it with a full tank of E10 and didn’t put in any stabilizer so it’s had that garbage in there for 3+ years.

Yep, sounds like bad fuel. Empty the tank as much as you can and pump the fuel through the lines to a convenient place up front with the ignition disabled to clear them. You can omit the second part if you want.

Comment

old gas turns into a super dark piss color just like that.

Comment

Awesome thanks, I’ll drain it and hope for the best.

Comment

Working...
        X