Service Interval Lights will not reset on new SI board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service Interval Lights will not reset on new SI board

I am unable to reset the green service interval lights on my dash. 87 325i vert.

Recently replaced my SI board with a rebuilt programa unit. Discovered that the PO had removed the lightboard from the failed SI board when I removed it. Installing the programa SI board and an SI light board from Ebay fixed my inop tach, econ, and temp gauges, but I can't reset the SI lights for the life of me. There were four green lights on when I installed the board a few days ago and now there are only three green lights on. At first I thought maybe the fifth green light wasn't working, but now when I try a reset with only three of the green LEDs lit, it's still not resetting. The lights go out after I start the car, as they're supposed to.

I am jumping pin 7 to pin 19. I also tried jumping pin 7 to a different source of ground. No luck with either of those.

What can I try next? I am confident it is not the SI board itself that is the problem. I am doubtful that it is the light board (but it could be). It seems like perhaps the SI board is not receiving the reset signal from the diagnostic socket. I know the socket is working because I jumped the starter and battery to adjust my valves a few days ago. Any ideas?

Update! I just went out to the car and now there are FOUR green lights on again. This after there were only three on for the last few days and I haven’t done anything other than attempt a reset. So maybe it is a faulty light board unit?

Comment

SOLVED
      It was my light board. I bought a new used light board on eBay. After installing the new light board my tach and MPG stopped working. I removed everything again and then I performed an internal reset of my SI board by connecting pins 4 and 7 on the SI Board (pin 7 is the pin after the “missing” pin) to each other and to ground for 3 seconds. Everything is now working as it should.

Comment

Working...
      X