Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(PLEASE HELP)1989 325i Goes Into Limp Mode

First Post
    How's it going everyone, I recently acquired an 89 e30 5 speed that has been giving me headaches. The problem I am having is intermittent, as I drive on occasion the car will lose power as if it Is in a limp mode (didn't know e30s had a limp mode) the car will show that it is overheating. If I pull over and start the car again it is fine the temp gauge shows that the temp is where it needs to be and it will continue to drive normal, for about 5 minutes before it happens again of course. I have changed the orange and blue coolant temp sensors and that did not help. again some days it won't give me a problem at all, and on those days I am in love, but with this issue I am never comfortable in the car. Any info or ideas are greatly appreciated, I hope you guys can help.

Can you pin down when the car overheats? In traffic? Is in good at highway speeds (fan clutch)? Take a look at the oil, is it milky (head gasket)? Is the temperature gauge high when it goes into "limp mode"? When it is hot, are both the upper and lower radiator hoses hot?
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Working...
    X