Odd Instrument cluster behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Instrument cluster behavior

Tried searching around for tips but i couldnt find any other instance of this specific behavior, it is the following:

- Tachometer rarely works, and never works when i have the lights on. When i turn the lights + foglights on, the needle starts bouncing wildly
    - Fuel gauge doesnt work, either reads dead cold or in the red
    - mpg gauge doesnt work, probably related to the tach issues.
    - speedometer, odometer, tripometer and gas work (afaik)

I feel like the way the cluster changes behavior depending on if the lights are on or not is particularly odd, and maybe some conclusions can be pulled from that?

I only recently bought the car, and test drove it in the day time, so i didnt notice the weird behavior after turning lights on until i had already purchased the car. and from what i can tell, its mostly the right side of the gauge cluster that is behaving weird. Has anyone seen this type of behavior before? I havent had the chance to disassemble the cluster yet, but im hoping to get some input here so i know what to look for, car electronics are definitely not my strong suit.
    Strategic Alpine Command:...sig loading

check fuses and relays be prepared to pull the cluster and tighten all screws. check solder points and battery. change all bulbs while your in there. my 2c sent from hell using tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
      check fuses and relays be prepared to pull the cluster and tighten all screws. check solder points and battery. change all bulbs while your in there. my 2c sent from hell using tapatalk
      yeah im hoping some fuses and new batteries will fix it. any suggestions on where to get batteries?
      Strategic Alpine Command:...sig loading

Comment

ask uncle Google. widely available. lots of write ups and viddys sent from hell using tapatalk
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        '90 325i sedan daily driven
        '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Working...
        X