Stalling When Warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalling When Warm

Took my 88 325 for a trip this last weekend and it was running perfectly, except for smelling like it was running a bit rich. I was cruising at around 55 for a while and then came to a stop. The engine completely stalled out, no hesitation or anything. Wouldn’t start up immediately but eventually turned over. I got it back up to speed and it seemed to run fine, but stalled again when I came to a stop. After the 3rd time this happened it began running terrible. Felt like it was running off about .5 of a cylinder... After this it stalled again and would not start up. Does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? Anyone encounter similar problems and find a solution? I’m stumped because before this trip it had been holding a steady idle, never bogged down, just smelled a bit rich.

are you a pastry chef? sent from hell using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

clean the icv out. sent from hell using Tapatalk
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      '90 325i sedan daily driven
      '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

I would start by pulling the spark plugs and see if one or more of them is fouled. If its been running rich, that should show on the plugs. Since it's not starting, check to see if you're getting spark at the plugs. Check the engine ground (under the alternator, frame to engine block). Connectors on the Air Flow Meter and idle position switch tight? Look for the obvious stuff first.
        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Working...
        X