Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine running a little rough after some maintenance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine running a little rough after some maintenance.

Ok so On my 1989 325i I did some work to it and did my intake manifold wrinkle black, replaced manifold gasket and tb gasket, had my injectors tested and cleaned and caps and O rings replaced all tested to be working perfectly fine. did my timing belt and water pump as well but I don't think it would have anything to do with my symptoms. lastly I replaced the fuel lines from the return and feed lines to the rail and the one small line to the evap canister thing. anyway I had the car idling and it sounds like its not very happy I have my suspicions on bad tps cuz there was no continuity in it after I had opened it and cleaned it. lastly I am sometimes getting the lambda 1 code (1222 Motronic code) and some more smoke/bad smell coming out of the exhaust so my thoughts are its running rich. will a bad tps be the cause to all of this? I think it could be because the engine is trying to tell itself how much fuel to inject but the tps is not sending that signal. car drives fantastic other than this idle patchiness and blipping the throttle is not an immediate response.

thanks.

give the icv a good douching? sent from hell using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
      give the icv a good douching? sent from hell using Tapatalk
      ill try it out, gave it a cleaning before I put the car back together and it sounds as though its working but Ill give it a shot.

Comment

hoping for some help here something weird going on that I found out today. so I did another coolant flush today and im still dealing with this odd idle, im digging around and I find that the vacuum line that connects at the bottom of the throttle body was not connected so I was like hmm weird, usually these engines run horrible if any vacuum leak is present. so im like finally I found the problem. Wrong, I push the vacuum line back on and the car was struggling horribly to idle. this leaves me stumped and wondering if it is still the TPS/ICV. I took out the ICV and its spotless I cleaned it last year and till now there's no spec of oil/ carbon build up in It and it buzzes when the ignition is turned to auxiliary. Any help is appreciated im stumped I don't know what to do.

Comment

anyone got any ideas^^^^^

Comment

Check timing, verify that all of the vacuum hoses are connected, unplug the engine sensors (TPS & O2) one by one until you see some improvement.

Know that when you write posts as a stream of consciousness, and neglect sensible spacing you are far less likely to get help. Also, this firmly belongs in the M20 section, which you should search for threads on 1222.

Comment

my bad, I just worked on it for a bit and have some improvements, ICV is confirmed working tps is still weird to me u used a multimeter on it and it does have resistance. if I leave the throttle on the switch it idles horribly but when I tighten the throttle cable a slight bit till it comes off of the tps switch it idles better and holds rpm better. it was idling at 800-900 rpm and was much smoother/ sounded happier blipping the throttle was still a little laggy but maybe that's all m20s. also no more check engine on 1222 after these adjustments. lastly can I check timing without removing all the engine covers?

Comment

Ok. I recommend an Italian tune up. Slowly get to the on ramp... check the radio. Wind that little bitch to 5500 rpms in 3rd for a mile... pop to 4th... back to 5000... then 5th to 5000 again... give yourself 15 miles.... go home. ask her how she feels in the morning... you'll be amazed. sent from hell using Tapatalk
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                '90 325i sedan daily driven
                '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
                  Ok. I recommend an Italian tune up. Slowly get to the on ramp... check the radio. Wind that little bitch to 5500 rpms in 3rd for a mile... pop to 4th... back to 5000... then 5th to 5000 again... give yourself 15 miles.... go home. ask her how she feels in the morning... you'll be amazed. sent from hell using Tapatalk
                  Ill give it a shot Lmao

Comment

Working...
                  X