84 brake woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 brake woes

Since I got my car, the brakes have been iffy to say the least. Brake would work for the first like 2 seconds of pressing the pedal, then goes to the floor.

I took the drums off, on of them had broken springs, replaced everything for both and got them adjusted right, replaced the master cylinder with one from my parts car, and bled the car at least 4 times (both a power bleeder and a good ole fashioned 2 person job).

All the brakes are engaging now, but the pedal either kicks in halfway down or once it’s almost at the floor. The brakes work well, just have like no pressure.

I just ordered a new master cylinder — what else could it be? Possibly the brake booster?

When the car is off, the pedal is firm.

If you’re not seeing any Indication of a leak, brake shoes are adjusted and front pads in near rotor contact and you’re properly bleed then you should have a firm pedal within a inch or so of pedal travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnyledge View Post
      If you’re not seeing any Indication of a leak, brake shoes are adjusted and front pads in near rotor contact and you’re properly bleed then you should have a firm pedal within a inch or so of pedal travel.
      Correct — Everything checks out but still have basically no pedal feel when on

Comment

But do you have a firm pedal when the engine is off?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnyledge View Post
          But do you have a firm pedal when the engine is off?

“When the car is off, the pedal is firm.”

Comment

Try pulling the vacuum hose off the booster and block the hose (so you don’t have an engine vacuum leak) and see what happens with the pedal when the engine is running.

Comment

Working...
            X