89 325ci front end play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 325ci front end play

After looking at the obvious--prying ball joints, checking bushings, etc.---what showed it's ugly head was the rack and pinion being loose---more precisely ---the pinion shaft would raise up as you turned the steering column. This allowed for 30-40 degree of steering wheel movement before the tie rods moved. Any clue as to what holds the pinion shaft firmly into the rack housing??
    Same car---the left front strut housing ----if you remove the cap, the ball bearings show rust and if you loosen the top of the shock via the top shock nut, you can actually push the shock down about a 1/2 inch with your fingers---ok so the shock/strut is shot. Looking at one which was lying on the ground at the Charlotte Pull-a-part----I unbolted the upper shock mount with my size 13 firmly planted on the spring---the top mount shot away as the spring opened---but it appears the shock/strutt is screwed down into the housing? Is this how a shock/strut is replaced on a 89 325ic---? Do I buy the shocks and then try to unscrew the shock insert or do I replace the entire strut housing?
    Always looking for Honda Trail 70 or mini trail z50

For the shocks/struts, you can go either way. You can buy the strut housing with insert as a unit, or you can just buy the insert. I have never done it, but the housing can be opened with a special wrench or a big pipe wrench from what I hear. Then just put the insert in, and tighten it back up.

You are very lucky you didn't lose a finger doing that with the spring. You have to compress them quite a bit to get them onto the strut housing. There's a lot of energy there.
    1987 E30 325is
    1999 E46 323i
    RIP 1994 E32 740iL
    oo=[][]=oo

Comment

Buy inserts. Remove old struts, remove spring, place strut in vice. Use large pair of channel locks to unscrew the cap that holds the insert in. Use heat if necessary.

Comment

I just did a set last weekend it took a three foot pipe wrench and shit loads of heat and wd40, that bitch was rusted in there. Oh and don't forget to use a strut spring compressor.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Working...
        X