Car might not be charging properly? Radio cuts off when brake is pressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car might not be charging properly? Radio cuts off when brake is pressed

So I've had this weird problem. When the car hasn't been running for long (within the first 5 minutes or so, like when I'm backing out of a parking space) if I press the brake pedal down the radio turns off..

I was lead to believe that it was initially an alternator problem so I replaced that, or maybe a battery issue so I got a new one too, with a new battery and alternator the problem went away for a few weeks but came right back again. Radio wiring looks fine. Now I'm wondering if it might be some type of ground issue because I doubt the new alternator is already bad, maybe the battery/ alternator aren't a good match for each other but I don't really think so. It also dies if left to sit for multiple days although I'm not reading any significant parasitic draw with my multimeter.

The battery light isn't coming on when it's running though and I've gone through the gauge cluster looking for some short or burnt bulbs etc but everything seems great and the si batteries have good voltages. Frame rail ground, one beside the steering column, one on the shock tower, block on the firewall, and one in the trunk for the battery all look good. So I'm kinda out of ideas...

Alternator: https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RSE2...ut=ray+2138239

Battery: https://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...cca/832332_0_0

I've seen similar bizarre problems related to: ground problems from the turn signal switch, the cruise control switch and bad tracings in the PCB board of the instrument cluster itself. I believe it is unlikely your alternator or battery are at fault if the problem occurs only when you press the brake pedal.

I had to dismantle and clean my cruise control and turn signal switches to cure a similar problem, there was grease fouling the contacts inside the switches themselves. You can test the tracings of the instrument cluster with a multimeter (all 26 pins) as a last resort. Also consider testing your brake pedal switch.
    Last edited by ghrays; 01-10-2021, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X