Steering wheel lock / ignition housing internals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel lock / ignition housing internals

Airbag car, not sure if it's any different, but does anyone know how the internals of the ignition housing get installed? Is there a supposed to a spring in there? I don't know how, but this "cam" and white bushing/washer popped out while I was reinstalling it on my column and I have no idea how it goes back together. Through trial and error I thought I had it back together but the steering wheel lock didn't pop back up when I took the key out, which leads me to believe there should be a spring in there somewhere?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jrobie79; 01-23-2021, 05:43 PM.
    1991 318is ---230K - DD
    1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
    so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

you get anywhere with that?
    mine came out while diagnosing the key/tumbler and I cant get it back in proper.

there is a spring supposed to be there, and the white plastic thing is on the other end of the spring.

im stuck though, she wont slide in no matter what i try

Comment

Originally posted by djbordie View Post
      you get anywhere with that?
      mine came out while diagnosing the key/tumbler and I cant get it back in proper.

there is a spring supposed to be there, and the white plastic thing is on the other end of the spring.

im stuck though, she wont slide in no matter what i try
      its a nightmare. I did figure it out, I can try to make a diagram when I'm free of how it all goes together.
      1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

its a mess eh,

Can you confirm which direction that plastic piece goes? or if its even required?
        I had to replace the igniton switch before assembling this.

Comment

Originally posted by djbordie View Post
          its a mess eh,

Can you confirm which direction that plastic piece goes? or if its even required?
          I had to replace the igniton switch before assembling this.
          the white plastic piece goes with the little extension sticking out of the small hole (end opposite ignition tumbler). PM me your cell number, I'll send you the videos and pictures I took to help a buddy

1991 318is ---230K - DD

Comment

Working...
          X