problems with the cooling system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems with the cooling system

ok so I've put about 1k miles on my car from the day i got it to this day. now I've had to put water on the expansion tank twice now first time was about 800 miles in and I've been fiddling with the cap so i figured i may have left it loosed and thats why it needed more water. but the second time i filled the tank and put it on as far in as i could but it might have not gone in all the way because when i got home i had no pressure on the expansion tank and the cap felt a little loose, so i studied the mechanism and it has two steps for closing so this time i made sure it was all the way sealed. but i haven't driven the car to see if its getting pressure now.

so my question is, could the cap loosed cause the water to evaporate?? or something like that?

theres is this hose thats attached to nothing and it seems my coolant is going to this hole but I'm not sure if this is supposed to be attached to something or not

any help will be appreciated

btw there is no leaks on the floor in the morning, but if theres no pressure it surely means theres a leak

Comment

What cap is that? I'd get a proper BMW cap. Probably $10 from Blunt, or even at the dealer. The cap failing will cause you to loose coolant.

The overflow hose just goes into a hole in the body. Look directly down the side of the strut. It's not connected to anything. You could put the end in a plastic bottle to see if that is where the coolant is going. Make sure it stays away from the header.

Do you have access to a cooling system pressure tester? Great tool to get. Find one by Stant on ebay for $50 or so. With that, you can test the blow off pressure of the cap. You can also pressurize the system and check for leaks. It's not a lot of pressure, maybe 15psi tops.

Go ahead and tighten up all the hose clamps. With the buzy S14, things vibrate loose.

Now, hold your breath, and feel all the carpet in the passenger and drivers footwells. Hopefully, it is all dry. Is there any odor of coolant?
      Last edited by SteveJ; 04-27-2012, 03:54 PM.

Comment

no leaks inside, i drove it yesterday and today and it seems to be holding down pressure, i don't know if ill have to add some coolant to it soon but i hope it was just this stupid cap. ill be getting a new one from blunt. thanks for the info

Comment

Get a factory cap. It will seal better than the aftermarket cap.
          Check around the cap for any evidence of boiling over....water mark stain or calcium deposit.
          If it stays clean after the cap change.. good. If it is still boiling over with the new cap but you are not overheating, change the reservoir, as the sealing lip is eroded.

m

Comment

Working...
          X