No announcement yet.

School me on 5-lug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off, almost everything on S14.net will be more expensive than on R3v. Why? because it's an E30 M3 site (duh) and most M3 owners have money. This is just the reality of it. Not to say that no one on R3v has the means because we know there are some heavily modded E30's that can fetch M3 money but they are few and far between. I just sold 2 used front strut tubes on S14 for $750. No calipers, no knuckles, no springs or perches just the front tubes with bearings. Each tube is something like $900 new and bearings are $100-400 depending on if you use M3 or E28 bearings. So you have to consider what BMW wants for these M3 parts before saying M3 owners are inflating the value and the cars are the sum of their parts. You must also consider the availability of these parts. How often do you see these come up for sale? Can you get them at the junkyard on 1/2 off days?...probably not. You don't have to get the M3 stuff...you could just get the E36 parts or run adapters, etc. If you don't like the price, then don't pay. Ultimately it's up to you. I would probably just get the E36 M3 stuff. It's cheaper and has bigger brakes but you have to run high offset wheels. The E30 M3 stuff is nice but I wouldn't pay more than $1500 for everything, however, that doesn't mean the next guy wouldn't.

Take the M3 cluster for example. They go for $300-400 and 325i clusters go for $30-80. The M3 cluster has red needles, tach reads higher, oil temp gauge and ///M emblem in the middle. Is that worth a few hundred more? Apparently it is to quite a few people. It's an M3 cluster...the best available from the factory and it's kinda rare. Same can be said for a lot of other M3 parts.

George, of course they look a like and owners do most of the same upgrades. Everything is already done from the factory. The only thing left to do that's tasteful are factory Evo upgrades and wheels.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 06-02-2012, 03:20 AM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I think you totally misunderstood my post.

I was not ranting on why E30 M3 stuff was much more expensive than regular e36 stuff. More so, I was just infused by the inconsistencies in price values I was being told and what I really saw. Granted your point is valid that, obviously because S14 is mainly M3 only, obviously, there will be a higher premium charge for M3 parts because the people who have the car an hopefully afford them.

Obviously, being the junkyard conosuer I am, I have a general grasp on why things are priced the way they are. US grilles are abundant, so finding euro grilles is a treat and they fetch far more because of their rarity/popularity. Aftermarket springs, wheels, etc. The concept you mentioned can really apply to anything, and I'm well aware it applies to the 5-lug swap as well. Parts new are expensive, used parts are rare as it is, and people are reluctant to sell low because of that rarity. I completely agree with you on that point.

If I was really concerned about the M3 5-lug swap price, I would have settled on an e36 swap long ago; that however is not the case.

What is the case was that I am trying to get the general grasp on how to budget my money to see how much I would need to save/sell off in order to fund my future e30 m3 5-lug swap. Having 4 different people telling me 4 different things, then seeing 3 different price figures isn't helping. That's why I wanted to turn to the general e30 community to get a second, third, and if needed fourth opinion on how much I would be spending down the road. There is nothing wrong with asking multiple people their opinion or knowledge on a certain subject.

From geneal consensus; I can now figure that number could range anywhere from $1500-$2500, and I'm sticking with that. Heck, maybe I'll find a deal for $1k shipped, maybe I'll actually really have to drop $3k; all I know is that I just need to save a small fortune and eventually I'll have what I so desire one day. I too would agree I wouldn't pay much more than $1500, but I'll just have money saved and patiently wait for something to come up

Comment

That's cool, goodluck with your search. Hopefully you can find someone parting a car out and just wants the shit gone. Either way, better be ready to jump on it when you do find them.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Thanks! That's the plan ;)

Comment

Working...
          X