how much are 265/5s worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much are 265/5s worth?

I have one but not sure what to ask, research indicates between $500 and 3500! quite a range..can someone pin it down?

One actually sold for $3,500?? Was it new old stock from the factory or are sure it wasn't a dogleg? If the condition is known to be excellent with no leaks, and you can prove it has less than 100k miles, asking close to $2k is not unreasonable. Otherwise I think $1,000 is as low as you'd need to go as long as it shifts in all gears and the mounting tabs are in tact.

Comment

Originally posted by fronton View Post
      One actually sold for $3,500?? Was it new old stock from the factory or are sure it wasn't a dogleg? If the condition is known to be excellent with no leaks, and you can prove it has less than 100k miles, asking close to $2k is not unreasonable. Otherwise I think $1,000 is as low as you'd need to go as long as it shifts in all gears and the mounting tabs are in tact.
      no it was a rebuilt trans

Comment

Originally posted by fronton View Post
        im talking about the 265/5 dogleg

Comment

I know where there's one for sale but its about $2300US

Comment

And it is a dogleg!! Oh sorry I'm not telling I want it for myself!!

Comment

Aside the dogleg, it is highly recommend that you should use a matching 3.46 diff instead of using the 4.10 equipped in US cars. Correct me if I'm wrong.
              88 M3
              85 190e-16v Euro
              86 ae86 Trueno Itb's
              63 Lotus 7 repl Turbo
              93 500E

Comment

265/5 is a dogleg trans, period. The standard pattern (non-dogleg) 265 is the 265/6.

Comment

Is it really worth 3k? I know they're solid and all but 3k??? School me please!
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                  IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Originally posted by getouth View Post
                    Is it really worth 3k? I know they're solid and all but 3k??? School me please!
                    My 190e 16v came with dogleg tranny. Let me tell you, the 2nd gear up enhances the driving experience even more. I also have a one of these M3 dogleg trannies and diff that have been waiting for installation for a year now, but am too damn lazy, lol. I wouldn't want to sell them, even for $3.5k.

The answer to your question is "It's all relative".

If you are a track guy or a weekend warrior or love to drive on mountain passes, you will love the shift pattern and gear ratios.

If you are a typical daily driver or a grocery getter or drive your family around town, don't even bother. It will only serve as bragging rights and you will get sick of telling people/valet who drive your car that 1st gear is left down. Oh yeah, buy an extra rear bumper if you understand what I mean, lol.
                    88 M3
                    85 190e-16v Euro
                    86 ae86 Trueno Itb's
                    63 Lotus 7 repl Turbo
                    93 500E

Comment

So what is the standard USDM trans worth?
                      The Great Big M20 Timing Belt DIY

Some good information I've found online (no affiliation):
                      Turbo Tech (Garrett)
                      Four-cycle information and cam properties for beginners (ISKY Racing Cams)

Comment

in good condition I've not seen them go for more than 300.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

That's a pretty big premium for a dogleg 1st gear...

Turbo Tech (Garrett)

Comment

That's not the only difference. The 265/5 is pretty much *the* road racing transmission because it has close ratio gears, so you stay in the powerband of peaky engines when shifting.

The straight-across 2-3 shift is nice as well. I'm putting one in my car, but primarily because I already have it.
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                              That's not the only difference. The 265/5 is pretty much *the* road racing transmission because it has close ratio gears, so you stay in the powerband of peaky engines when shifting.

The straight-across 2-3 shift is nice as well. I'm putting one in my car, but primarily because I already have it.
                              Gotcha - I didn't know the ratios were different. I can understand it then, since custom gear sets are probably uncommon/prohibitively expensive.

Turbo Tech (Garrett)

Comment

Working...
                              X