S14 Engine Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S14 Engine Noise

Sorry, I am posting this here since the S14.net is down. Need some help figuring out what could be the reason for the car to have a loud ticking noise after it warms up. It seems to get worse the warmer it gets. Any ideas?

Thanks!
    87 E30 325i Convertible w/ M3 body
    01 E39 M5
    12 Audi Q7 S-Line

Have you checked the valve clearances?

Comment

No I haven't, but that should be worst when the engine is cold, shouldn't it?
      87 E30 325i Convertible w/ M3 body
      01 E39 M5
      12 Audi Q7 S-Line

Comment

Originally posted by CleanE30 View Post
        No I haven't, but that should be worst when the engine is cold, shouldn't it?
        no not necessarily ,everything in the engine expands as it heats up (on an engine that gives both hot and cold valve clearance spec's the hot will allways be larger) also on a cold engine the oil is thicker so will help to dampen some valve noise.

check for exhaust leaks also , a major cause for ticking noise on these engines
        Angus
        88 E30M3 X2
        89 325IX
        92 R100GS/PD
        :)

Comment

What oil are you using? I'd look into your valve clearances as well
          Current:
          1989 325i
          1988 M3
          1987 325ic
          Past:
          2001 330ci
          2001 M3

Comment

Loud ticking... I had a buddy tell me my ticking was too loud and to adjust my valves. I adjusted them, all fine. Engine had obvious rod knock a month later (spun bearing). I read somewhere that with the aluminum oil pan, small rod knock is perceived as valve tick. I believe I had a bearing on the way out that was producing the sound.

instagram: @tonerrrr
            High resolution E30 Fuse Box 300dpi PNG

Comment

Working...
            X